National Geographic Article

Poetry, short stories, paintings, photography, songs – art of all genres.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

100footpole

National Geographic Article

Postby 100footpole » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:38 pm

A friend of mine sent me the link to this article:

national geographic - healing soldiers

My friend and I had earlier discussed the movie American Sniper ... and how it was my feeling that the PTSD, and the reasons for the PTSD, were being sublimated by political arguments from the left and the right.

My friend sent me the link to say the article did a good job of making my point. There are sound bites under the pictures that have people's thoughts about fighting depression brought on by war ... circumstances that are probably worse than any I've encountered.

After reading the article I drew a mask up for myself, which I then burned outside. The idea of showing the mask is an individual one that I think depends on where you feel you are on your trajectory for recovery. I have feelings about being broken ... but they feel like a wound that is healing. I think that if you have those feelings, and no one knows than drawing a mask might help you think of the words that you need to open up to someone who can help. And, if you feel there is no one who understands, than put them on the board here as a start.

I felt so good after drawing/burning my mask that I decided to write this. And now as I finish the note, I think no one believes me, this post is just stupid. I know in my mind if not my heart that's not true. I know that you folks get it either way. So ... draw the mask. If it doesn't help you, but you think it would help to see my mask, then I will draw it again and we can talk about mine first, and then yours if you want.

In case you haven't noticed, my GAD can cause my thoughts to be a little paranoid. :oops:

emily67

Postby emily67 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:28 pm

thank you for this post!

hugs!

Return to “Art Work”