Trying to hold on.

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Woundheir

Trying to hold on.

Postby Woundheir » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Last edited by Woundheir on Fri May 15, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spleefy

Re: Trying to hold on.

Postby Spleefy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 am

Hi Woundheir,

Thank you for sharing a small part of your story and how bipolar is affecting you.

You’ll eventually find good people that you can connect with and that will truly care about you.

It can be hard to trust people once you’ve been burned a few times. I am a giver and will never ask for anything in return. This can leave you open for people to take advantage of you or even use you, if you allow them to. It’s good to establish boundaries and have structure, so you don’t have people take advantage of your good nature.

Perhaps give to people, not so they will like you, but just because you want to enrich the lives of other people. You can quickly identify who is taking advantage of you because they will take and take and rarely, if ever, give anything of themselves.

In my opinion, the best way to find good people in your life is to associate mostly with those who have good moral values and standards. In doing so, you are less likely to find someone who is going to take advantage of you because of their values and higher standards.

However, as you have experienced yourself, depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc., does inevitably put a strain on any relationship. This is compounded by sabotaging the relationship, which I know I was guilty of when I had depression and insecurities.

I was raised with very little love and nurture. Owing to this upbringing, it was emotionally too much for me to cope with close relationships.

At the end of the day—whether or not someone has depression, anxiety, or bipolar—living and interpersonal skills is a lifelong education. Try to have fun with it. We meet so many people in our lives. In reality, however, only a few of those people we meet will actually become good friends that we can trust. But one thing for sure is that we are more likely to meet such people when we choose our friends wisely.

Hang in there.

Return to “Expressions”