Fingers are getting tired. Triggering material.

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 pm

MrsDerby,

And no, I do not believe that "positive thinking" will fix GERD, or COPD, or Asthma, or Arthritis, or Fybromyalgia, or spinal damage...

I too have the Gerd, COPD, Asthma, heart condition, liver condition, eye condition, spinal issues, kidney issues, and the list goes on. Positive thinking doesn't fix those issues. I see many doctors, take many meds and THAT keeps me going.

With all your issues, why wouldn't you be depressed? I am.

Understanding of others, compassion, truly caring for another, that is the positive thinking in your life, and mine. With that we do our best to do all we can, live the life we have and return the love and understanding.

There isn't always a fix for life, but knowing we will fight and do all we can will help us live the life we have. It is good to be positive, but also good to face things as they are.

Great to read books, learn, but facing reality is a completely different thing. "Walk a mile in my shoes" as my loving mother always said, then talk to me about positive thinking.

Just my thoughts.

Warmsoul

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 pm

(((warmsoul)))

Thank you. Someone who knows it's not all in my head.

Thank you for sharing and your kind words. Nothing helps the pain but, just knowing your not alone greatly helps the soul. :)

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Mrsderby wrote:st8arrow

ok. enough is enough...

Forgive me but, even though you have tried so hard to help me I just have to ask...

Why is it that all you psychological people are so thoroughly convinced that a person with psychological problems is not capable of having physical problems. I am soooo tired of everyone thinking that. Yes, I have bipolar. But I also have several diagnosed physical problems. And no, I do not believe that "positive thinking" will fix GERD, or COPD, or Asthma, or Arthritis, or Fybromyalgia, or spinal damage...

I do know that being calm and thinking as positive as possible can make the migraines easier to deal with even though it does not stop the pain or return the use of my left side. I also know that the medications to "fix" the bipolar" are making me sick. Positive thinking will not help that either.

What came first, the depression or the illnesses? Well, I was fine emotionally until I got sick in January. Live one day in my body and you will get depressed too.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Thank you for your honesty. I agree with you that we live in a physical world and not everything can be passed off to psychological problems. The first thing a Doctor should do is make a thorough physical examination to try to rule out a physical cause for ones behavior.

But on the other hand, one should not decide that the cause is purely physical in any situation also. You have written about my story concerning "Helen Irving" and obviously what appeared to be physical turned out to be psychological. The story about Grant's migraine turned out to be psychological also.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence. "Live one day in my body and you will become depressed too."

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 pm

(((((((((((((((( MrsDerby ))))))))))))))))))

YW hon. Knowing you aren't alone, whether with your real life or on internet is a big help to get through these things.

I know, as I am sure you are the same, that I would never wish my illness' on to anyone. But knowing that others know the pain is real and they stand beside me is such a blessing.

Warmie

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 pm

St8arrow

But on the other hand, one should not decide that the cause is purely physical in any situation also.

Short of being harsh, isn't that what you have been saying? Finding the 'cause' is why I see doctors. They have the training, may not have all the answers, but they do their best to find them. It is a starting point for me.

Warmsoul

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey guess what!!!

I have been wondering why my heart has been racing between 120 and 150 when my heart is fine. My lungs are compromised (COPD). My heart is having to work harder to push the blood/oxygen through my lungs. Since my heart is healthy and this is working that is why my oxygen levels are good.

Guess I should start remembering to take my lung medication so my heart won't have to work so hard...

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 pm

((((((((((((((( Mrsderby ))))))))))))))))))

WTG! It does help with meds. I am with you on forgetting, just so many of them, but I am getting better.

I found, in the craft section of the store, this plastic case that has 28 little dishes that twist into each other. (A container to hold beads.) That is two weeks of a.m. and p.m. meds for me. So I sit down, sort them and I am set for 2 weeks at a time. Have them close to my coffee maker and that really helps. I remember them and I take all I am suppose to each day. :)

Warmie

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Good thought but the Spiriva and inhaler don't fit... Any more suggestions??? :lol:

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:37 pm

I use to use a small basket, had it sitting by the coffee maker. Just having meds in one container close to something you do each morning, me it was making coffee, helps to remind you. Same for any other time of the day.

A not on the fridge, 'take meds' also helped me. And LOL, on mirror in the bathroom. Once I got into the habit I didn't and don't need all the reminders, it has become set in stone, as they say.

Good luck with this ((((((((((( Mrsderby)))))))))))))))))

Warmie

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Warmsoul/Jeanie13 wrote:St8arrow

But on the other hand, one should not decide that the cause is purely physical in any situation also.

Short of being harsh, isn't that what you have been saying? Finding the 'cause' is why I see doctors. They have the training, may not have all the answers, but they do their best to find them. It is a starting point for me.

Warmsoul

Thanks for offering your opinion on these matters. Yes it is what I have been saying, but I was responding to Mrsderby's suggestion that I seem to be implying that everything can be traced back to a psychological cause and I felt it was appropriate to repeat my previous advice again. That is, that the problem can be solely physical, solely psychological, and just to make it even more difficult, it can also be a combination of both.

You are absolutely right about the Doctors having the training and they do the best that they can but in Mrsderby's case, it seems as if they have been trying to help her for a long, long time with either limited or no success whatsoever. As she mentioned herself, one of her Doctor's prescribed 6 times as much medication as he or she was supposed to.

The following paraphrased words appear somewhere in my published, but almost totally ignored book. (I'm not the greatest marketer in the world.) "One Doctor said that the problems inside the human brain are physical in nature that require medication." Unfortunately for him, he added that, --- "Talking therapies are useless. In fact, he said: "That some talking therapies actually make things worse."

Perhaps he failed to realize that he was admitting that talking therapies do have an effect on the patient. Whether the "talking" benefits the patient or not depends to a large extent on the person who is doing the talking. But since the Doctor in question thinks that talking therapies are useless, the chances that he would have anything valuable to say to the patient to help with his or her problems is next to zero.

In my not so humble opinion, I think this particular Doctor would fit into the category of a Doctor who sees his patient once every 3 months. Writes out a new prescription for his patient and says, --- I'll see you 3 months from now. Goodbye.

Last edited by St8arrow on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

St8arrow

Postby St8arrow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Mrsderby wrote:Hey guess what!!!

I have been wondering why my heart has been racing between 120 and 150 when my heart is fine. My lungs are compromised (COPD). My heart is having to work harder to push the blood/oxygen through my lungs. Since my heart is healthy and this is working that is why my oxygen levels are good.

Guess I should start remembering to take my lung medication so my heart won't have to work so hard...

I think you have come up with an excellent reason for your racing heart. I hope this new approach on your part results in your heart rate being reduced considerably.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:05 pm

All well said St8arrow. Will repeat, the forums are for support. Not professional opinion, no one should be doing that. What happens between doctor and patient is just that.

We can support, do our best to be caring, but medical advice is not what we do here. I am sure there are many places on the internet that do that.

Now since this is Mrsderby's thread, let's get it back to giving her support, being there for her in a friend to friend position. Okay?

Warmsoul

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I hurt :cry:

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm

((((((((((((( Mtsderby )))))))))))))))))

Sending a warm and gentle hug your way. Hope it shows I care.

Warmie

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 am

(((st8arrow)))

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or offended you. I have Dr's coming out of my ears, a Psych Dr and a therapist who does CBT. What I am looking for here is just a friend.

Hope that is ok.

Return to “Expressions”