Being Grateful Thread

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

pablos

Being Grateful Thread

Postby pablos » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I have read that especially when we are depressed to think about things we are grateful or thankful for regularly/several times a day. Even if its something small like having food on the table, water, a place to live,.., etc.
Even if its the same thing over and over. My counselor has encouraged me to write them down. Sometimes I have had trouble thinking of something. But when I do practice this, it helps me to feel hopeful.

So I thought I would start this thread as a place for people to share what they are thankful for each day or as many times during the day that they can think of something.

Today I am thankful for the sunshine and warm weather. I am thankful that I have a job, food on the table and a home with a roof over my head. I am especially thankful for finding depression-understood.org for support and all of the wonderful people here.

pablos

shatteredhopes

Postby shatteredhopes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:10 pm

This is great!!!!!! While gratitude doesn't completely eradicate the depression, it does take away a bit of the sting and is excellent for coping/managing the depression better for me.

I am grateful that last night when I helped my mom with her grocery shopping she bought me some groceries (including strawberries! and I have chocolate fudge dipping sauce yumyum) and gave me $20 for gas.

Then, today she invited me over for dinner and I had two helpings of banana pudding for dessert!!!!!! What, it has bananas, so its a fruit/vegetable serving right?

I am grateful I have little sitting job coming up this week and next so I earn some pocket money.

I am grateful I will hopefully be able to start group therapy this month.

I am grateful I can see, hear, walk, have roof over my head, food, an automobile and especially for my little window a/c unit in the bedroom to cool me off! And naps! :)

pablos

Postby pablos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Yes, shatteredhopes, you put it well, "it does take away a bit of the sting and is excellent for coping/managing". It will not heal depression. It takes the edge off.

Today, I am thankful for the medication that helps my depression. I am thankful that I was invite to a party yesterday and the ongoing sunshine.

pablos

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:10 am

Today, I sanitized grandson's toys (all of them), did 3 loads laundry, steam cleaned all my carpets, cleaned 3 loads of dishes, took out 6 bags of trash, scrubbed the floors and walls, took a broom and swept the ceiling where dust was accumulating in the boards on the vaulted ceiling, cut new flowers and filled all the vases from my garden, reattached the linolium edges in my bathroom, hung a new hand painted tiger stalking in a jungle mural in living room, put away boxes back into storage, changed litterbox, put up a bed in guest bedroom for dad to sleep on during his visit, put out all clean linnens and towels for said visit, scrubbed toilets and tubs, and fed the cats. And that was just today.

Today, I am grateful I can still move. Today, I am grateful for a clean and very nice smelling home. Today, I am grateful that it's not tomarrow yet because I know it won't last.

pablos

Postby pablos » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 am

Today I am thankful for a good nights rest, for another good day and again for a job, home and food when so many others struggle. God be with them.

Jeanne

Postby Jeanne » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

Today, I am thankful for my sister with whom I can share everything, for my kids (they are behaving well today), and for God's mercy (I desperately need it).

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am

Great thread...

keluca

Postby keluca » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:57 pm

I am really grateful that my little one is ok now, and thankful for a new day that dawns

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm

((((((((((( keluca ))))))))))))))))

Good you have that!

Warmie

pablos

Postby pablos » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 pm

I am grateful I made it through these last two days. I have been working my a... off with little down time.

pablos

Postby pablos » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am

Today I feel depressed and angry so it is hard to be thankful or grateful. Arrrg. Looking deep and trying hard, I am grateful for being able to breath and meditate to help me relax. I am grateful that I can come back to the present moment. I am grateful that just expressing myself in this tread and the other one are helping to recenter myself and calm down a little.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 am

(((((((((((( pablos ))))))))))))))

Thankful for youi

keluca

Postby keluca » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:13 pm

(((((pablos))))))
Hope you are ok

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:37 am

((( pablos ))) We are here with you hon.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:21 am

Grateful that Monday will be here soon.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”