I need to get out

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Jeanne

I need to get out

Postby Jeanne » Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I keep getting this feeling that I need to get out and do something. I need more contact with people to lift my depression. I've thought about getting a job, joining a yoga class, or volenteering at a nursing home. But getting out scares me. I always seem to say the wrong things. I hate being judged by others. Will I be completely incompetent? I have a hard time justifying the gas money and babysitting money needed for a day out. There are a whole bunch of excuses, mostly I am afraid. Afraid to step out and take a chance, to risk being rejected, to deny my three year old a full time mommy, to not be there when my other kids want to talk or need help with homework. Does fear rule anyone else's desicions? I know I need to just the first step, but I fell paralyzed.

Mich

Postby Mich » Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 am

I feel exactly the same way; taking that first step is just so hard. It is great that you are thinking about stepping out. Depression keeps us so isolated and I really believe that if you can take that leap of faith and get out there, you will feel better. I need to do the same. You sound like a great mom, so concerned about your kids, but please don't forget about your needs as well. Your kids will be fine if you take a little time to do something to help yourself. Volunteering is a good way to get out there. I wish you the strength to do this.

Peep212

Postby Peep212 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:21 pm

jeanne, if you need to get out, dont substitute one stress for another..go out...go feed the ducks or hit an arcade or go see a movie..get some _me_ time. :)

Catcat

Postby Catcat » Fri May 21, 2010 8:04 pm

I know exactly what you mean. If I were out more things would be a little better. However going out and having to worry about what could go wrong is hard but sometimes you just have to jump into it without thinking. It takes alot of energy but the more you do it the better it will get. At least thats how i imagine it since I also have to still take that first step. Best of luck to you.

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 am

I find it helpful to go to places like the public library, or a coffee shop. That way I can be out among people, while at the same time not feeling too vulnerable.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”