I'm Tired

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Destination

I'm Tired

Postby Destination » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 am

I feel tired. I'm tired of constantly worrying about my daughter. The doctor prescribed Prozac for her. She has only taken one dose and already her thoughts of SH are worse she says. The doc said that if her thoughts and feelings get worse I am supposed to take her off the meds and call him. She's only been on the meds for one day.

I'm confused and tired of fighting. I feel like I am having to not only fight my own battle with depression, but also hers. I feel like I am having to push her every step of the way, it is like walking uphill in mud. Everything I try to do seems to backfire in some way or another. I feel like she has given up and I am worried. Because if she has given up then how can I help her. I can't help her if she doesn't want to be helped.

I've never taken meds for depression. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what I can do?

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:40 am

(((((((Destination))))))))

I'm sorry that things are so hard on you. I understand your concern for your daughter. I'd definately do ask the doc said about taking her off, that is obvious not the right med for your daughter. It's so hard to see kids struggling. And the helplessness feeling is a hard one.

You can help her by encouraging her, letting her know that you havent given up even if she has. Its natural to be worried, yes she has to do a lot of the work herself, but she will get to the point where she can.

The right meds, can work wonders, unfortunately sometimes its trial and error finding the right one, or the right combo. but I think if you manage to find the right one, it helps and is definately better alternative than to keep feeling the same way. Just my opinion though

hugs
hollyann

Destination

Postby Destination » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks hollyann :) (( huggles ))

I did a lot of thinking last night and decided that if she said she felt worse after only one dose, than I should listen to her and stop worrying that she might be dramatizing things. After all, it is her body, so she would know if the meds don't feel right to her.

If she says she feels worse, she feels worse. I know medication can be tricky stuff, especially medication for depression! I plan to call her doctor later this morning and see what he wants to do.

I have trouble reading her because she is a teen now and there are so many thoughts and feelings that go with becoming a teen. On top of that, she's got depression and SH thoughts. So it is hard to tell when she is just feeling bummed out or when she is feeling actually depressed.

My first inclination was to say to her, "Well give the meds a chance, you don't know if they're going to work or not." But if I start down that road than she'll be afraid to talk to me about anything because she will think that I won't listen to her.

And I've got to learn to listen to her! If she starts trusting me to listen to her and make her feel like she's got choices, then maybe she won't feel so trapped and will be more open with me.

I am also thinking about finding out if my insurance will cover counseling for me. I know the insurance covers counseling for her. Maybe I can get help for my problems with anger and become a better person and parent as a result.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”