Appetite (Or lack there of.)

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Danceaway

Appetite (Or lack there of.)

Postby Danceaway » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello,

I have been battling depression for a while but have only been on anti-depressants for about a year now. I used to have a very good appetite but since the start of the medication my appetite has disappeared. Currently I eat just enough to sustain energy which is pretty much a small full meal and then sometimes snacks throughout the day.

My therapist has given me many different ways to battle it such as written diets and thinking about my health but the so called logical side of me says "you feel fine, you dont need to eat more" but the smart me says "you need to eat more." Im not losing any weight (because my weight never changes due to my metabolism).

I want to eat more, I really enjoy food but I just cant make myself do it. Has anyone else had such a struggle with their appetite? Did you overcome it and how?

I would really appreciate any feedback on the matter.

Thanks for reading:D

Celina

kdoddie

Postby kdoddie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello,
I have had simular side effects from meds I was taking but it settled down after a couple of weeks.A year is a long time so Im guessing your feeling maybe emotional,I know when Im down I dont eat or feel the need to.Nothing takes my fancy when I feel that way.Perhaps try having your favourite things or keep a food diray and if your concerned chat to your gp

Hope you feel hungry soon...hmmmmm chocolate lol

Kristie

Danceaway

Postby Danceaway » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks for the response. I have talked to my gp, therapist and psychiatrist and they don't really have an explanation for it. They just keep saying to meal plan but it doesn't work. If I try to force myself to eat I will feel like im going to throw it up. Even if its my favorites. There are certain things I am can always eat and that's raw fruit. I find I am drawn to crap foods when I am craving something. Things like chocolate anything or candies. When I eat regular meals I can only eat about half of a serving and then I am sick of the taste. I cant remember the last time I felt full. I know its just a mental thing but I just don't know how to overcome it. Its weird, I know and I may be just grasping at straws for an answer but its worth a try.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi danceaway. I don't have that specific problem. My problem is i don't get hungry so i forget to eat some days. We do have a chat room associated with here that might be helpfull as well as the forums.

Danceaway

Postby Danceaway » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:17 pm

I get that problem too. I will have breakfast and than a busy afternoon and evening and then its 8pm and I havent eaten anything. Its like eating has taken a backseat in my life. My body allows me to eat just enough to get by the day and no more. It drives me nuts.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:50 am

Well, my problem, i take so many meds and they all have a side affect of decreased appetite. So now, i just don't get hungry unless i've gone without for a couple days. Without the hunger, i forget.

Danceaway

Postby Danceaway » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Depression really puts eating on the back burner. The only time im quite hungry is in the morning. As long as I have breakfast I dont get hungry again for most of the day. Also, if I have a plate of food in front of me and I am starving for it, if something gets me upset I immediately lose my appetite and I cant eat at all.

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 pm

That sounds like me.... (the post above mine)....

Yeah.... I've lost my appetite for the most part. I'm not losing too much weight, though. After about 5lbs, the weight loss stopped.

Sometimes I force to eat.... if not eat, then force to drink something. Maybe my appetite loss is extreme.... I will lose my appetite for food AND drink. Then again, I have a food allergy that messes me up big time, if I eat what I shouldn't (which is everywhere). I'll chalk up the appetite loss to not knowing what to eat/how to fix it, as well as a side effect of the food allergy. (I'm too petrified to put anything in my mouth sometimes, for fear it might trigger an allergic reaction.)

Prior to now, I've lost my appetite, but it's sort of a cycle. I will not want anything for a while & then, one day--near when that thing should come--I will be hungry & stay that way for a while.

I think maybe what would help is to just have a little something, whether it's food or drink. (Hey.... Even a 10/12 oz bottle of juice or whatever can be a meal/snack. I try to drink something I enjoy... like pomegranate or cranberry juice or cranberry water or so. Sometimes, I'll feel really in the mood for fruit & will eat that.... Imagine a small handful of a part of a bunch of grapes.... It varies....)

If there is something you like & you want to eat, you could make it or get it, but eat it in smaller portions/freeze some of it.... etc. That's a little of what I do.

Victoria_Lamarche

Postby Victoria_Lamarche » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 pm

I didn't really know i was depressed and had anxiety till not long ago... I eat maybe once a day... if i decided that i was hungry... i knew i had to eat i just never wanted to. there was no reason for me to eat. i still don't see very much reason to eat... I'm not on any meds for it... but it really has effected the way i look at food... Considering i love food!

Danceaway

Postby Danceaway » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks for the replies. Its nice to know im far from alone. I love food sooooo much!!! I miss my appetite. I have a good feeling that even when I get off the meds that my appetite will not return. It seems like something that is all in my head. I like drinking water(I used to drink about 10 to 12 glasses per day and now I am happy to get to 2) and flavored water. I can always eat fruit as well but I am allergic to fruits with high acidity(Oranges, pomegranates, ect.) so it kind of limits me. I just need to try harder to stay away from the crap I crave. I guess we will just keeping fighting the battle.
Thanks for the feedback:D

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”