My boyfriend broke up after starting anxiety/ depression meds, what do I do.....? :(

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Grace1989

My boyfriend broke up after starting anxiety/ depression meds, what do I do.....? :(

Postby Grace1989 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm

My boyfriend of 2.5 yrs broke up with me out of the blue two days ago. We are both 27 years old, have both been in long term relationships before, and we thought very carefully about being together. Our relationship and our friendship is amazing, we he a connection like I never imagined possible. Only three weeks ago he was talking about having children together and our future.
He has recently been through multiple stressful situations, to the point where he began to become depressed and was prescribed some medication. That was a few months ago. When I spoke to him on the phone two nights ago, he seemed sad, distant, and depressed. He said he is just living day to day, doesn't want to see his friends, and doesn't know how to feel about anything any more.
I realise that I do take some responsibility in the break up, and I have apologised for the things I did, and I have begun counselling to get myself better.
I am completely devastated by him saying we should just be friends. I am so scared that I will never get him back. He says that he still loves me and he will forever, which is why I am wondering if his medication or depression is to blame. A doctor prescribed him some meds (and gave him the wrong dosage) and neglected to follow up with him to see how he was doing. 
I desperately want to help,  but he has asked for space,  and I have no idea what to do....

Prycejosh1987

Re: My boyfriend broke up after starting anxiety/ depression meds, what do I do.....? :(

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Grace1989 wrote:My boyfriend of 2.5 yrs broke up with me out of the blue two days ago. We are both 27 years old, have both been in long term relationships before, and we thought very carefully about being together. Our relationship and our friendship is amazing, we he a connection like I never imagined possible. Only three weeks ago he was talking about having children together and our future.
He has recently been through multiple stressful situations, to the point where he began to become depressed and was prescribed some medication. That was a few months ago. When I spoke to him on the phone two nights ago, he seemed sad, distant, and depressed. He said he is just living day to day, doesn't want to see his friends, and doesn't know how to feel about anything any more.
I realise that I do take some responsibility in the break up, and I have apologised for the things I did, and I have begun counselling to get myself better.
I am completely devastated by him saying we should just be friends. I am so scared that I will never get him back. He says that he still loves me and he will forever, which is why I am wondering if his medication or depression is to blame. A doctor prescribed him some meds (and gave him the wrong dosage) and neglected to follow up with him to see how he was doing. 
I desperately want to help,  but he has asked for space,  and I have no idea what to do....

You need to help him solve his depression and take it from it. The relationship can be rectified but you have to help him with his depression first.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”