Adult son with depression

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

sookgal66

Adult son with depression

Postby sookgal66 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi. Throwing this out there for input as I am feeling very lost right now. My son, 26, tried to commit suicide on Thanksgiving weekend. It was horrible. But he is still here and every day I am grateful for that. At first, when he came back home to "regroup", he was upbeat, almost euphoric but slowly his mood has slipped back to being really low. It is not easy to talk to him; he does not share much about what he is feeling so it is frustrating trying to know what is going.on with him.
Is this normal for a person to swing from high to low after an attempt? Will things slowly improve? He is getting counselling but does not want meds. I think now that meds might be worth exploring but I need to respect his desire to not use medication currently.
Anyone who has experienced this stuff from a family member or first hand, I would welcome some sharing. It's hard to talk to people about this as they really have no clue.
Thanks.

Hope and Strength

Re: Adult son with depression

Postby Hope and Strength » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi dear lady, So sorry for the pain you must be carrying these last couple of months. This is very hard. This is your son and you love him deeply. You want to see him at peace. It never matters how old our children are, we carry them in our heart and we are always concerned about them. Sadly, you cannot change his world or make it better. He has to do the work. It is good that he is seeing a counselor regularly. Hopefully, the counselor will help him to move to a better place, a place where he realizes his value and that he can embrace a good life. Since he is not in agreement about medication and you are not equipped to know whether this will help, you can suggest that he ask the counselor of his/her view about medication and if a referral to a psychiatrist who assesses the need for medication is warranted. That would take it off of you but it is a way for you to suggest this to your son. What you can do is LOVE him and since you have posted your concerns, it is clear that you absolutely are. You can assure him of your love for him, that you are cheering and praying for him and that you hope he chooses to move forward. No one can really tell you whether his behavior is within or outside a normal realm since we are not professionals nor do we interact with him. Sure, ups and downs are common in younger people, but there is a concern when it becomes erratic or unpredictable or there is a negativity that lingers. Keep encouraging him to talk to his counselor, even if twice a week is needed to keep him on solid ground. Stay strong and know that you are truly doing the best that you can. Wishing you peace and healing.

BestofLife

Postby BestofLife » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 am

Felt sad reading your post, one thing which you mentioned that he is very silent and does not speak much - did you try to get one or more of his friends to talk to him and report back to you, sometimes a person going through depression opens up with friends than with immediate relatives.

sookgal66

Postby sookgal66 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Thank you Hope and Strength and Best Of Life for your thoughtful, caring responses. It's tough to watch someone you love struggle. But he knows I am here for him, whatever he may need and that is a good suggestion about seeking friend's assistance. I will give that some thought. I am also going to reach out for some help myself, just for a "debriefing" and support. Take care both of you. Thanks again!

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm

sookgal66 wrote:Hi. Throwing this out there for input as I am feeling very lost right now. My son, 26, tried to commit suicide on Thanksgiving weekend. It was horrible. But he is still here and every day I am grateful for that. At first, when he came back home to "regroup", he was upbeat, almost euphoric but slowly his mood has slipped back to being really low. It is not easy to talk to him; he does not share much about what he is feeling so it is frustrating trying to know what is going.on with him.
Is this normal for a person to swing from high to low after an attempt? Will things slowly improve? He is getting counselling but does not want meds. I think now that meds might be worth exploring but I need to respect his desire to not use medication currently.
Anyone who has experienced this stuff from a family member or first hand, I would welcome some sharing. It's hard to talk to people about this as they really have no clue.
Thanks.

It really depends on what he is going through. You need to stress the fact that he should try meds, moreover talk to his counsellor. Things dont improve unless the person takes steps towards recovery.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”