Is Isolation a symptom of depression or another sign?

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Marci

Is Isolation a symptom of depression or another sign?

Postby Marci » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:07 pm

I have been in a seemingly happy relationship with a man in his mid-forties for just under a year. About a month and a half ago he suddenly became withdrawn and seemed to just shut down. For several weeks prior he complained of being financially stressed and overwhelmed with everything from work to his teenage son draining him financially (he's a single dad of a 1st year college student). It seems as though our seemingly happy relationship is gone... suddenly a man who chatted with me three to four times a day barely calls at all and rarely responds to my calls or messages. When he does respond, he insist that he loves me, but hasn't initiated any physical contact. I initially thought this was his way of ending the relationship, but as I look back over the past year I realize that perhaps he might be suffering from depression. He has very, very irregular sleep patterns, sometimes sleeping in excess of 12 hours a day, but still complains of being tired. Is isolation a symptom of depression?

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Marci welcome to the forum. Yes isolation can be and is often a very real part of depression. Im sorry that the two of you are going through this.

holly

Marci

Postby Marci » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Hollyann, thank you for replying so quickly. I am clueless, how can I help him? I love him very, very much and want to show support without pushing him further away. He seems embarrassed about his financial woes, but I didn't fall in love with him for money. I actually truly love him. He's told me of hurts from his past and how previous relationships were short lived. I don't want to be another person to abandon him but don't know how to be there if he won't let me. How long should I anticipate him to be in total isolation?

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”