Not enjoying this new life stage

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Oggie

Not enjoying this new life stage

Postby Oggie » Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Hello everyone, I haven't been here in years. I had my anxiety and depression under control using medication for at least 5 years. Now something new, but not unexpected has happened and I am having some difficulties. My kid is moving across the ocean to study, she is studying for a PhD, she is 25. She has lived at home till now. I was a single mom for the first decade of her life and we went through alot together. We are very close. I am so proud but I am so so sad. I am crying uncontrollably now for almost a week. It just comes on and i can't get it to stop. The sites I have been on about empty nest syndrome all say don't let your child see how upset you are, they might feel guilty. Well...she has caught me many a times, crying. I think i am looking for some reassurance and others stories and coping mechanisms they have used to get over this or learn to live with it. Thanks.

Prycejosh1987

Re: Not enjoying this new life stage

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Oggie wrote:Hello everyone, I haven't been here in years. I had my anxiety and depression under control using medication for at least 5 years. Now something new, but not unexpected has happened and I am having some difficulties. My kid is moving across the ocean to study, she is studying for a PhD, she is 25. She has lived at home till now. I was a single mom for the first decade of her life and we went through alot together. We are very close. I am so proud but I am so so sad. I am crying uncontrollably now for almost a week. It just comes on and i can't get it to stop. The sites I have been on about empty nest syndrome all say don't let your child see how upset you are, they might feel guilty. Well...she has caught me many a times, crying. I think i am looking for some reassurance and others stories and coping mechanisms they have used to get over this or learn to live with it. Thanks.

Humans as do birds, look after their young and then the little birds grow up and leave the nest eventually to start their own families. Birds do understand this easier than humans, they cope better and let go of the nest and dont stress. I suppose that is being human, to stress about these things (it is very understandable) Remember that she will not stay away from you forever and i am sure you can still stay in contact with your daughter. I am glad you had a good relationship with her, maintain that relationship and dont worry its not the end of the world because she is not physically with you. Stay in contact with her whenever you can.

Return to “New Member Introductions”