Need advice

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Maxine M

Need advice

Postby Maxine M » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:58 pm

I have been on prozac for 20 yrs and I think it is not working for me anymore. My Dr asked me the last time I had a visit how my med were doing and at the time I said OK but truth is I have been crying more then usual. Has anyone else experienced this and did your dr increase your med dosage or try you on another one
Thanks for any responses
Maxine

BenV

Re: Need advice

Postby BenV » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 pm

The first med I was put on was Prozac. Seemed to work pretty well. But after a while it seemed to wear off. So my doctor increased my dosage. Work good again, for a while. Then we upped the dosage again. Then again. Then the vivid nightmares began. Finally got so bad we stopped the Prozac and I switched to Effexor. The nightmares went away.

PigRabbit

Postby PigRabbit » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:28 am

Prozac is an old medication. There have been many newer, cleaner drugs made available on the last 20 years.

If the current dose of Prozac isn't as effective as it once was, probably better to try a new one or new dosage and try it BEFORE you hit a very rough patch.

I suggest calling your psychiatrist and letting him/her know you overstated how well the medication was working.

20 years is a long time to be on the same medication, you probably built up a tolerance to it. It isn't anything to be ashamed of or keep hidden. If your meds aren't working, they aren't working, nothing deeper than that. Not sure why you lied to your doctor about it, but for me, not being forthright about the effectiveness of my treatment to my treatment team was because i felt ashamed and felt like a failure and was depressed and didn't want them to know just how pathetic i was. These feelings where caused by my conditions that where not being properly treated. If left untreated they would have gotten worse. I had to muster the courage to admit i was hurting and needed help because the current treatment plan wasn't working.

My doctor helped find a medication that worked. It took a few trys but finally found one that worked. Every few years my meds stop being as effective and i need to try new ones or dosage ir combination of new medications and changed dosage. I have been on/off medication treatment for over 20 years. It has helped me through some pretty rough patches and saved my life. It really was important that i be properly medicated and not let my illness sabotage my treatment when the meds where not being effective.

I am sorry you are not doing as well. I hope your dr and you can find a effective solution and you can live better.

RustyTavern

Postby RustyTavern » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:25 am

Maxine M wrote:I have been on prozac for 20 yrs and I think it is not working for me anymore. My Dr asked me the last time I had a visit how my med were doing and at the time I said OK but truth is I have been crying more then usual. Has anyone else experienced this and did your dr increase your med dosage or try you on another one
Thanks for any responses
Maxine

"My Dr asked me the last time I had a visit how my med were doing and at the time I said OK but truth is I have been crying more then usual"

so you don't want professional advice, why?

KatieScarlett

Postby KatieScarlett » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 pm

I think saying “ok” when asked how we are feeling is pretty common. It’s almost like you need to process “Hey! They really wanted to know how I’m feeling. They’re here to help.” Nothing wrong with calling and letting them know what’s up with you. Meds help when we give the doc the right info to help us.

KatieScarlett

Postby KatieScarlett » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm

I think saying “ok” when asked how we are feeling is pretty common. It’s almost like you need to process “Hey! They really wanted to know how I’m feeling. They’re here to help.” Nothing wrong with calling and letting them know what’s up with you. Meds help when we give the doc the right info to help us.

lonesome_traveler

Postby lonesome_traveler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi. You can build a tolerance to medications after taking them for a long time. You should talk to your doctor about it. He may change your dose or try you on a different medication all together.

Return to “New Member Introductions”