Newbie....need some help

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Sadiecoal

Newbie....need some help

Postby Sadiecoal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:29 am

Hi I'm new ....just joined today. Most of my life I'm a very happy person but have had 3 major depressive episodes over the last 18 years. Started on Zoloft 18 yrs ago and have been on it since (150 mg) It has worked great til about 2 mos ago. My daughter graduated college and is getting ready to leave the nest. I have separation anxiety from a traumatic divorce of my parents when I was 10. Had a very critical upbringing from my Dad resulting in low self esteem and anxiety disorder. Anyway....my GP increased the Zoloft to 200mg 7 weeks ago but I had thought splitting up the dose to one pill in the am and one pill in the pm would be a good idea.....evidently not such a good idea. I wasn't crashing but just kind of maintaining for the next 5 weeks. Then last week my daughter discussed moving out sooner rather than later and it triggered a downward spiral ....depression, panic, and general anxiety. So my psych doc said to take them at the same time in the morning, which I started 8 days ago. I have had horrible anxiety and stomach aches, have to force myself to eat, and now having trouble sleeping. I remember feeling this way when I first started Zoloft esp when my doc upped the dose. So I'm thinking even though I increased to 200 mg several weeks ago the reason I'm just now feeling serious side effects is due to just starting to take the full dose at the same time. I am hoping this means that the increase dose is starting to truly work. I am having periods where I feel a peace and that things are really ok, but they don't last through the the day. I'm clinging to them when I have them praying that they will start to last longer and longer. Any comments or experiences? Also, a friend of mine, also on 200 mg Zoloft, takes trazadone at night to sleep. Has anyone ever used this to sleep. Not sleeping is like the kiss of death forme. I can't hardly cope if I don't sleep. Sorry for the novel here just trying to not feel so alone in this battle.

Helloraspberries1

Re: Newbie....need some help

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

I do understand how it feels to be so low and Depressed. It's not nice to live with day in day out and the world looks different to when suffer from Depression.

What you felt about your daughter moving away is pretty normal. All parents would worry and feel anxious. You can't help that.

For me professional helped. They put me on anti depressants I.e. fluoxetine and risperidone. They changed how I felt within two weeks and felt much better and common.

I'm still taking fluoxetine and I have been on and off it for some time. My medication has also gone up so know how it feels.

You just got to remember that aslong as you take as prescribed then you should be fine. It's important you get the best results.

As I have never taken medication to help you sleep. I wouldn't know what that would be your friend must be taking. Again, she may have it prescribed by the doctor due to her having severe sleep all her life so that's maybe why she's on it but it's best to ask the doctor if you feel that will help you.

I'm glad your feeling a bit better now and seeked help. I hope everything goes well for you for now on.

Please take care x

pololo

Postby pololo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:29 pm

hi.
i want to share my support. i dont have any advice with sleeping pills as i had various side effect problems with some, but ive been using herbal Valerian Root pill form and it worked /no side effect/. tea smells and tastes really horrible and doesnt work properly but pill form has strong herbal extract and works just fine, there are many products using valerian and mostly prescription free. i see your daughter leaving the house is making you sad.. and i think this is completely normal even for a generally happy person.

Elisabeth75

Postby Elisabeth75 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:40 am

Sadiecoal wrote:Hi I'm new ....just joined today. Most of my life I'm a very happy person but have had 3 major depressive episodes over the last 18 years. Started on Zoloft 18 yrs ago and have been on it since (150 mg) It has worked great til about 2 mos ago. My daughter graduated college and is getting ready to leave the nest. I have separation anxiety from a traumatic divorce of my parents when I was 10. Had a very critical upbringing from my Dad resulting in low self esteem and anxiety disorder. Anyway....my GP increased the Zoloft to 200mg 7 weeks ago but I had thought splitting up the dose to one pill in the am and one pill in the pm would be a good idea.....evidently not such a good idea. I wasn't crashing but just kind of maintaining for the next 5 weeks. Then last week my daughter discussed moving out sooner rather than later and it triggered a downward spiral ....depression, panic, and general anxiety. So my psych doc said to take them at the same time in the morning, which I started 8 days ago. I have had horrible anxiety and stomach aches, have to force myself to eat, and now having trouble sleeping. I remember feeling this way when I first started Zoloft esp when my doc upped the dose. So I'm thinking even though I increased to 200 mg several weeks ago the reason I'm just now feeling serious side effects is due to just starting to take the full dose at the same time. I am hoping this means that the increase dose is starting to truly work. I am having periods where I feel a peace and that things are really ok, but they don't last through the the day. I'm clinging to them when I have them praying that they will start to last longer and longer. Any comments or experiences? Also, a friend of mine, also on 200 mg Zoloft, takes trazadone at night to sleep. Has anyone ever used this to sleep. Not sleeping is like the kiss of death forme. I can't hardly cope if I don't sleep. Sorry for the novel here just trying to not feel so alone in this battle.

Depression... a big disease that isn't recognized enough.

Return to “New Member Introductions”