Hello from new member

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

opal.eyes

Hello from new member

Postby opal.eyes » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi there, I'm Kristin. I'm new to this forum and thought I'd start by introducing myself here. I've been having a relapse of my depression for the past couple months, and I could use some support and people to talk to who understand this experience. Thanks for reading. :)

pen27

Re: Hello from new member

Postby pen27 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi, Kristin. I have a lifetime of dealing with depression and would be happy to talk to you about what you are going through.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Opal Eyes & Pen27,

My theme for today so far is will power vs. depression. Will power is the effort that you have to make to do something ... If there is no effort than you REALLY wanted to do whatever you did. Depression saps that want ... everything seems pointless. I've been really busy for the past two months doing stuff that HAS to be done (Civic and Financial obligations). What I've found is that all the writing I did on here helped me keep working after getting over the hump of just moving.

How does depression affect you guys?

Helloraspberries1

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:48 am

Welcome to the forums Opal.eyes :)

I'm sorry you are going through a hard time at the moment. I understand that it must be really hard for you.

Depression is difficult on a daily basis. When your stuck in that cycle not being able to get out of it then it becomes hard to deal with.

I find Depression gets me down when I'm sat thinking and then it becomes thinking about negating thoughts and sucide. That's not the knot way it affects me it can when I've fallen out with someone, having a bad day etc. I've tried to stop thinking too much instead and take action.

I know motivation can have an affect on you when suffering from Depression. It does with alot of people. If you could do one thing each day like going out for a walk, talking to a friend or reading a book you may find your mood lifts. That does help me cuz it keeps my mind busy and not thinking negative thoughts.

I've never had experience in relapsing before. I don't know what it's like to have that. I do know it's important to not give up and let Depression win.

I hope your feeling better soon

Helloraspberries1

PlumChartreuse

Postby PlumChartreuse » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Experiencing crushing depression, which I hide from everyone - including my young daughter. I rarely leave my apartment, self-medicate with wine, and sleep more hours than I'd like to admit. I've now reached my third lowest point in life (the others dating back to 1994 and 2000). I've taken time off from work with the intent of finding a "new direction," but in the end, I'm now aimless and isolated. I've confided in one friend, though he is now exasperated and annoyed that I won't simply take his advice to "JUST TAKE ACTION" - as though things are this simple. Every day now blends into the next. I am generally self-sufficient and emotionally distant - asking for help goes against everything that I am. Still, here I am.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:02 pm

PlumChartreuse,

I think I understand much of what you're saying.

Did you read the post:

DEPRESSION, ANXIETY AND BIPOLAR DISORDER/Your Story/Sticky points that worked for me

I agree that "Just Take Action" is about as effective as "get over it" and all the other helpful advice we get from others.

Two things I notice about your post that are different from the sticky points are:

1) You are hiding your depression. Depression makes it feel risky to confide in others. In fact, if you don't have positive people in your life it can be risky to share your depression with people around you. There are people who are experienced and may volunteer to help you. Sharing doesn't guarantee that your depression will go away without further "action", but dealing with it alone has never helped.

What are your thoughts about this point? Tell me all the things you have tried and why they didn't work.

2) You are self-medicating with wine. Somewhere in all my posts are some where I talk about my self-medication with alcohol. I drank last night, I felt great and relaxed. Today I woke up to an anxiety attack that kept me in bed for an extra two hours. I wanted to get up, but I just didn't have the energy.

I'm really working on getting the relaxed feeling of being drunk, without the drunk. I have a friend who is an alcoholic, and has stopped drinking. He is a great positive influence in my life. I need to meet other friends like him, rather than the ones I have who love to drink.

Return to “New Member Introductions”