Hi everybody

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

mr_black

Hi everybody

Postby mr_black » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:47 pm

I live alone and spend most of my time home alone, I don't work due to health issues so I don't get a chance to socialize much. I live in a large apartment complex but really don't know any of the other tenants and the longer I spend my time alone the harder it seems to be to interact with people. When I do talk to someone it's always in passing and I'm to the point I don't know how to act around people anymore. I'm hoping to get to know people here and break the cycle.

Hmmmm

Postby Hmmmm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Mr Black, welcome and everyone is friendly here so hopefully we will be able you to build up your confidence. Once you get started you will be on a roll and you will be making new friends soon.

mr_black

Postby mr_black » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've distanced myself from the people I used to associate with and don't really have anyone I consider a friend in my personal life. They gave real meaning to the question "with friends like that who needs enemies" and led me to feel like I'm better off with no friends than the ones I had.

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi mr_black. Welcome to the forum. It's very courageous of you to seek out support and do your best to break this cycle. I believe you'll be able to do just that. If you haven't already been to the chat room, thats a good place to get to know people and talk about your issues too. Once again welcome.

holly

Waynec

Postby Waynec » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello Mr Black. Welcome to the forum. Only been here a short time myself, but its been a great start for myself. Feel free to pm if you want to talk about anything.
Wayne

balcony

Postby balcony » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi, Mr_ Black, welcome to the forums. Living alone but around other people can be very hard. A constant reminder that you are alone. Take heart, there are ways to meet people in your apartment building and with practice you will. This place is a great opportunity to practice talking and getting to know people. Do you have a pet? Is there a community board in the entrance of your building? Sometimes, it just takes finding a common interest with one person to change things. I hope in time you will find that. Nice to meet you and please keep posting, take care.

mr_black

Postby mr_black » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I've lived here four and a half years so it's not like I haven't had a chance to meet people. I know people to speak when I'm coming or going but have never been to anyones apartment or have anyone here I consider a friend.

They have a dance once a month where a band comes in to play but I'm not into that, and bingo a couple times a week but I'm not so old I find that interesting either. It can be cliquish so I usually just keep to myself rather than get involved in it.

I thought about getting a cat but the first thing it would want to do is walk on my keyboard. They allow people to have small dogs but I live on the 4th floor and that would entail taking it out for a walk at all hours of the day/night no matter the weather.

I do know the guy who lives right across the hall for me but we had a falling out and haven't been friends for over 10 years. We are on speaking terms and yesterday he confided to me that he had suicidal thoughts and his doctor was going to admit him into the hospital if he didn't get them under control. I talked to him about it for a little bit and told him if he started having those thoughts to come over and talk about it, but from the look on his face he seemed like it was more me wanting him to come over for my benefit than his and didn't act like that was something he looked forward to. :roll: Kind of made me feel stupid for even offering.

I went grocery shopping yesterday, bought some stuff for my apartment, a couple video games, and am reformatting my other computer so I'm pretty happy for now. (That's about as happy as I get these days and can't remember the last time I had "fun" that didn't involve me entertaining myself.) I probably won't leave my apartment until I have to go to the store again and that won't be for several days.

Labor Day is a couple days away but I don't have any plans for the holiday. I'll cook myself something good to eat and make the most of it here at home.

Return to “New Member Introductions”