Page 1 of 1


Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:02 am
by dylanmiracle
Hi I'm an 18 year old college student and I've been dealing with depression since i've been about ten. Its had its flare ups and goes away but always comes back worse. I thought I had it beat but this is the worse its been I finally broke down and admitted I need to go see a professional and Im scared about whats going to happen after that. i want to be able to control my feelings not rely on medications, I just want these feelings to go away but I have no idea how to go about it. Anyone got ne advice?

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 am
by Warmsoul/Jeanie13
Hello dylanmiracle and welcome to the forums, glad you found us.

The step of seeing a professional could be the best thing. Seeing one doesn't mean you will be on meds, always that chance. Just getting your feelings in place and having someone with the proper training help you is a good start.

This site has a chat room as well, should you want to go there and talk with others. Many there your age and older that give support for they do understand.


Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:59 am
by mpal050
Hey, Welcome!

I can say it gets better, better in the way that you get used to the unpresdictability and develop coping mechanisms and networks. The ups and down affects my Uni work often, and it took awhile to wrap my head around the thought that it was going to be harder for me to get a degree, not because of intelligence, but because of the crippling anxiety during the downs.

Make the most of any support around you. College counsellors, doctors, talking therapy, friends, clubs.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:27 pm
by hollyann
Hi Welcome to the forums.