Phobia

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

RenaMoon

Phobia

Postby RenaMoon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Maybe Brontophobia? Or perhaps fear of bad weather (don't know the name)

This is crazy. Only little kids are supposed to be afraid of thunder and lightning. Well when I was a kid I loved it. I was awed by the display of power. But now, I wake up in the middle of the night unable to sleep because my heart is racing and my eyes are wide open as I stare into the darkness waiting to see the next flash of lightning through my window or hear the next crack of thunder. Low rumbles don't effect me as badly. I'm on alert but not anxious and panicky.

Its when it gets so bad that the walls shake and the lightning is wicked. I haven't been driving yet when a storm that bad hit but I have been at work. The thunder was horrible. I kept looking to the ceiling hoping it wouldn't cave in under the rain. I was praying that it would stop and not get worse. If I was walking when the thunder sounded I'd stop dead in my tracks and hold onto something stable. I remember the whole day my hands were shaking. I'm only glad I wasn't working with glass. I kept pressing my back against solid places and pulling my carts in front of me so I could see all around me but still be shielded. Only one person knows that I was scared that day. Another person knew something was up but I refused to tell them why looked like I was about to run and hide.

When it snowed and froze over during the winter I still had to go to work after the roads got scraped and melted somewhat. I had my eyes glued to the road and if it felt like the truck was slipping I'd hold my breath. Then it hailed one night at the beginning of spring. I was alert and a bit tense but managed to keep my sanity. Now the thunder storms, the really intense ones have me feeling like I need to run and hide in a corner. How I hated the looks I got when I stood frozen to one spot at work while latched onto a cart, holding my breath, after it thundered so strongly I felt the whole store vibrate. Does this mean that this new phobia is progressing? I guess I won't know that till the next bit of bad weather rolls in. Still, I'm not sure about this. And I'm worried that I will get caught driving when the storms get that intense. That would be a bad time to freeze up. I also don't want to completely avoid driving.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 pm

(((((((((((( RenaMoon )))))))))))))

I am with you on the fear. Not a child, but it brings the child out of me. You aren't alone, I know many that feel the same.

Thought I would send a hug your way, to help.

Warmie

Prycejosh1987

Re: Phobia

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 am

RenaMoon wrote:Maybe Brontophobia? Or perhaps fear of bad weather (don't know the name)

This is crazy. Only little kids are supposed to be afraid of thunder and lightning. Well when I was a kid I loved it. I was awed by the display of power. But now, I wake up in the middle of the night unable to sleep because my heart is racing and my eyes are wide open as I stare into the darkness waiting to see the next flash of lightning through my window or hear the next crack of thunder. Low rumbles don't effect me as badly. I'm on alert but not anxious and panicky.

Its when it gets so bad that the walls shake and the lightning is wicked. I haven't been driving yet when a storm that bad hit but I have been at work. The thunder was horrible. I kept looking to the ceiling hoping it wouldn't cave in under the rain. I was praying that it would stop and not get worse. If I was walking when the thunder sounded I'd stop dead in my tracks and hold onto something stable. I remember the whole day my hands were shaking. I'm only glad I wasn't working with glass. I kept pressing my back against solid places and pulling my carts in front of me so I could see all around me but still be shielded. Only one person knows that I was scared that day. Another person knew something was up but I refused to tell them why looked like I was about to run and hide.

When it snowed and froze over during the winter I still had to go to work after the roads got scraped and melted somewhat. I had my eyes glued to the road and if it felt like the truck was slipping I'd hold my breath. Then it hailed one night at the beginning of spring. I was alert and a bit tense but managed to keep my sanity. Now the thunder storms, the really intense ones have me feeling like I need to run and hide in a corner. How I hated the looks I got when I stood frozen to one spot at work while latched onto a cart, holding my breath, after it thundered so strongly I felt the whole store vibrate. Does this mean that this new phobia is progressing? I guess I won't know that till the next bit of bad weather rolls in. Still, I'm not sure about this. And I'm worried that I will get caught driving when the storms get that intense. That would be a bad time to freeze up. I also don't want to completely avoid driving.

Its very rare for weather to affect you in a big way. for example, How often do you see lightening. Moreover how often does it strike people. Bad weather that affects people in big ways is very very uncommon. Its like being scared of being scared of being bitten by a "poisonous cat". (cats can carry illnesses) Its Possible but highly unlikely.

Return to “Phobias”