Social Anxiety and panic attacks...

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:11 am

I do that too. It's a safety issue. And trust issue. I learned that a glance is ok, but stareing makes those around us uncomfortable. So I try to keep aware that it only lasts long enough to be a glance and move on. One thing that helps is that i count. I count the shelves, the different number of items on the shelf, etc. but then again, i have ocd and am a counter anyways.

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I have severe anxiety and social phobia and agorophobia (I think I said that right). Problem is, my anxiety attacks are called psycogenic seizures. Looks just like a grand mal seizure. I have been on disability now for a year and a half because they were happening every day at work. I have had them in the store, while getting a haircut, while driving... Now I don't leave the house alone unless I have to. To top it off I have also started having complicated migraines. That is a migraine "headache" that looks and acts just like a stroke. Just what I needed, one more reason to hide in my house.

I appreciated some of your posts on how you deal with the public fear of "what are they thinking about me". I only recently learned I was not alone with this.

I am new to this site but will read all there is to read. Maybe one of you can help where Drs have failed..

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 pm

msderby sorry they are so bad for you. I try to often do everything I need at once so I dont have to leave the house more than necessary. I have a kid so that helps. Always appointments or the store, school something but when I can I do it all one time. It helps me some.

You are definately not alone.

holly

broken_hearted

dealing with anxiety

Postby broken_hearted » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:33 am

Just started having to deal with this. Okay maybe not I've dealt with anxiety my whole life but never knew what it was and recently just got diagnosed that my shyness was due to social phobia. I'm not finally able to go shopping by myself which for years I could never do...

It's really painful and its getting worse for me too. I'm unable to talk to my teachers and 99% of the time I have to force myself to get out of bed in the morning and go to class in the morning because I'm so depressed and unable to face the world. I want to exercise and do yoga to make myself sane but I can't seem to get myself to any places. I go to school in upstate NY and I don't have a car and local transportation is scarce unless you want to pay a ton of money.

I have this constant feeling behind my back like I should be doing something more worthwhile in my life and I feel like I have an anxiety attack every other day. I try not to fight it but they come at such random times. I also need advice with dealing with them.
I feel like i'm going insane. Am i alone in this? I just feel helpless I don't know what to do. Any advice would be needed. Please help me :(

thanks guys. :)

broken_hearted

Postby broken_hearted » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:38 am

StrengthWithin wrote:
hollyann wrote:With my anxiety if I'm having it while out somewhere I do what I need, or leave everything (if possible) and head home. Even if it means gathering myself in the car until I calm down enough to drive. One thing I don't do is force myself out when I'm already anxious if I can avoid it because it tends to make my panic attacks worse. I just try to accept them and move on. and accept my limitations but try again when it eases up. And yes they can definately come out of the blue and return, but hold on to the fact if they let up before they can and will again. Hope that maybe this makes sense and can help you.

Holly.

That's really interesting, Holly. I have REALLY bad anxiety, but I do the opposite and I DO force myself out of the house. As insane as that sounds (and yes, I AM nuts. lol.), I find that it really does help me. Now, my PANIC ATTACKS DO WORSEN at first, but after a while, my body almost becomes automatically tired of having anxiety and it goes away. . . to a degree.

Honestly, if I didn't do this, I would NEVER get out of the house. *sigh* Anxiety stinks. :[

@StrengthWithin: I agree with you. I try to do the exact same thing but lately its been getting harder to force myself to do things. I feel so self-conscious about everything but just wanted to let you know I go through the same thing with you and Holly and that you aren't alone :). ps fml means f**k my life lol.

Prycejosh1987

Re: Social Anxiety and panic attacks...

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Jaymn wrote:I recently started having panic attacks again on top of my S.A. I haven't had one since 3 years ago. Then, on sunday I starting having them again. For no reason at all and out of the blue. It doesn't bother me much because I got rid of them before by letting them happen. Not fighting them. Now, I don't let them bother me much but I'm just wondering why they came back? I talked to my therapist about it. He said they can come out of the blue from having anxiety. Now I have to let them pass I guess.
The Social Anxiety i've had for 8 years. It's gotten the worse the past few years. I can't even go out without thinking people are judging me. They could be laughing at me too. I know that 99% of the time it's not true but the thoughts are still there and make me anxious.
How many people on here have Social Anxiety and/or panic attacks? Also, how do you deal with it?

They came back because you listened to the negative voices in your head. Your should fight your panic attacks until they dont come back. Or until you are really sure you have conquered them. Deal with anxiety and panic attacks will have less of a hold on you.

Return to “Phobias”