Getting down again..cos of work.

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

dziga

Getting down again..cos of work.

Postby dziga » Mon May 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi, I've had depression on and off for many years now. I've also suffered from stress and anxiety. I don't think I've ever got over any of them properly but things were manageable and I'd learnt to live with it.

Recently I've been feeling very down again - it's because of my job. I really hate my job, it makes me feel worthless and with the economic climate as it is and all the bills I have to pay I feel like I am a prisoner to it. It's got to a point now where I just cannot face it any more. I am going to call in sick tomorrow and speak to the Dr but I am just not sure what they can do to help when the problem is the job - if I left I'd feel soooo much better (but be really broke!).

I've had these problems with work before but my manager changes every couple of months so there isn't any consistency and all the good one manager does is forgotten when the next comes along.

The other thing is that I don't want to go back onto antidepressants. I hope to plan a family soon so don't want them in my system.

I don't expect answers but any would be very grateful of any thoughts before I speak to the dr.

Carlos_87

Postby Carlos_87 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:19 pm

I sort of get where you're coming from..Stress and anxiety has always been a serious problem for me as far back as I can remember, and in the last 3 years I sank into a depression I can't seem to get out of.

I'm a student in 2nd year, with 3 more mandatory to go and I absolutely hate the underhanded and disorganized management and the inability to actually learn a skill. Since it's a day to day plan, I can't find a job in this wretched economy, and I'm bleeding massive amounts of cash on the tuition, and that has me tossing at night, with all added expenses.

I feel trapped in an ongoing masquerade and the vast superficial studies aside from majors make one feel very small, insignificant and under versed in real assets needed in this economy. And with my introverted personality and complexes, it's difficult having to deal with so many people all day, every day for apparently no tangible purpose. In the country's rapidly deteriorating economy, however, I can't afford to drop out either, not in 2nd year.

I wouldn't know what to tell you, your experiences probably outrun mine by far, but..I guess everything from classes to jobs just amounts up to previous experience on paper in the long run. I also try to stay clear of chemical intervention. Partly because I couldn't afford treatment, and partly cause I can't bring myself to admit I need that kind of help.

The best thing to think of is, that maybe it will help land us in a job were our work amounts to something and we are somewhat appreciated.

xn728

HARD DECISION TO MAKE !!!

Postby xn728 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey there dziga,,hi Im ken ,,or xn728 ,,im 51 ,,ive suffered with very bad depression since i was seven ,,,ive worked all my life up till 2 years ago ,when it became to much ,,i went thru the same thing as you ,,would hate work ,,but then when i had time off i would feel even worse because i would feel quilty because the money would stop,,the bills would mount up, so after a few weeks i would be forced to go back ,,,finally i had a break down last year ,,,i live here in the uk ,,so went on incapacity for 6 months
things were hard but ,they did get sorted out ,,then when i could handle it i got a part time job 16 hrs a week ,,the tax credits made it workable ,,
ok i got laid off a couple of weeks ago ,,but were managing ok ,,i,ll find something else ,,,what can i say here ,,it will make you worse if you continue to go to work ,,but then you will remain in turmiol ,,and feel under stress ,,if you stay sick ,,it may help you feel better ,,,there are plenty of organisations around to help you with any depts !!,,,your move in the end ,,,i would just like to add this ,,,i was on drugs for clinical depression and p,t,s,d,,,from the age of 16,,,,i was married at 19 ,,have to lovely daughters ,,23 ,,,and 29,,years ,,drugs didnt hurt them ,,and i am a loving husband of and a great father that i do know ,,,so ,,maybe try the drug free way for a while ,,but it may be nessarcery to have meds one day ,,,i really hope ive been of some help ,,,i hope you find what your looking for my dear freind ,i think your new to the forum so i will say Welcome home ,,and i hope you find what your looking for ,,good luck my freind ,,and if you should stumble on this long road you travel ,,reach out and we will catch your fall ,,,,best wishes ,,,,hugs (((((((dziga))))))))
lots of love xn728 ken xxx PS ,,talk to your doc ,,tell them just how you feel ,,there are lots of alternatives to drugs ,,councillings ,,etc ,,just talk and tell them exactly how you feel ,,always remember your not alone with this ,,this forum is full of careing and loving people all feeling very much like yourself ,,,have a read around the posts ,,,,be safe (goodnight))

Mich

Postby Mich » Wed May 26, 2010 6:52 am

Dziga - I can really relate to your post. I was in a job I hated and felt that same trapped feeling. I know how terrible it is. I really hope you can change your situation for the better but I understand how difficult it is in this economy. I wish I had some brilliant ideas for you.

Return to “Your Story”