My story

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Guest222

My story

Postby Guest222 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Yesterday I saw a psychologist and she told me that I seemed to have a masked depression.
I'll see a doctor soon to be sure of what I have.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 am

I think that the current state of the art is to take a two pronged approach to depression.

There are drugs you can take to give yourself some control over your mind, but you also need to share with other people. A psychologist is someone who has trained to deal with thoughts that your friends or family might not have experience with.

How do you see your treatment going?

Guest222

Postby Guest222 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:06 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I went to a doctor just today and she said about the same, she prescribed me antidepressants and said it was better if I kept seeing a psychologist as well. I forgot to mention the masked depression though. I'm going to follow this even though I don't really want to take antidepressants but I guess I don't have a choice...

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:17 pm

After you find a set of anti-depressants that work ... that is that enable you to turn off that "depression voice" in your head that is "masked" and not making itself readily evident ... then therapy will hopefully give you the insight to decide whether you want to continue with the anti-depressants.

I am a smoker, and I am on Prozac. I can choose to not take my Prozac, and I know that the result will be that at some time I will feel depressed. Once I felt depressed I made the rational choice to go back on the Prozac. My Dr. wants me to not smoke, when I don't smoke my anxiety levels go up, I become irritable, etc. Now, it took me a long time to find Prozac, and it only works with the cigs. I have made peace with that, and my Dr. has agreed that since I have made it clear to him that I have control, he will not repeat his recommendations vis a vis smoking.

I hope you can work out a more positive solution than that, but the only thing we really have is at least a "feeling of choice". I embrace that feeling, and try to do the best I can.

Good luck to you. I hope you want to try to keep writing on here, or at least reading.

Return to “Your Story”