Meds not working, feel like at the end of the road?

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

A

Meds not working, feel like at the end of the road?

Postby A » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm on my third or fourth depression medication. I'm currently on 187.5 mg of Venlafaxine/Effexor. I feel like everytime they increase my dose, for a few days I get very emotionally detached, want to SH like crazy and make impulse buys. Then a few days later my depression gets more severe and I feel like the meds dont do anything.

I have to see the nurse every month and she seems super insensitive and makes my anxiety skyrocket.
I have to take appointment for CBT therapy at a public clinic since I'm too poor for private.
I'm on the waiting list to see a psychiatrist, which could take months.
In the meanwhile I'm stuck with meds that don't work and severe depression and anxiety which makes working so so difficult.

I don't have friends that understand nor parents that understand, in fact my mom thinks I should go off meds with a little willpower! I'm married but my husband can't support me mentally because he is abroad for a couple of months so being separated doesn't help me..

If someone can suggest what can I do in the meantime, while I get my psychiatrist appointment, cuz I have no idea and I'm desperate.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

CrazyKiss

Postby CrazyKiss » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 am

Hi there, in sorry to hear that your going through a hard time at the moment. Must be really hard for you.

Good to know you are betting support for your depression and anxiety. You mentioned you take 187.5mg of both Venlafaxine/Effexor. What I wanted to know is what do they do exactly? This more then just depression?

The one thing im concerned about is why you feel that medication your on isnt working. Taking 187.5mg is alot so I wouldnt see why it shouldnt be working. Im not sure if this is true but you mentioned that you feel attached to them and feel your in so much pain with out taking more. Could you maybe be addicted to painkillers?

This is very common and your not on your own. Sounds like from what you said you are showing signs of having a common problem of addiction. There are people who dont realise they have it untill they seek help.

I do think you should make another appointment with the doctor again and preferably an out of ours appointment and get someone to come and see you and tell them what you said to us on here. Just be upfront and honest and I would said that you feel pretty much attached to your medication and feel in pain.

They may either give you ways to help you cope with the pain or the very last thing they may do is give you something to take but your doctor will have to go through this with you. I think seeing the doctor is a good start.

Carry on seeing the nurse as you see her once a month which is often but you do wanna stick with the same nurse. You should just be upfront and honest with her if you can. Its important you do.

Once you have an appointment with the CBT that should make you feel better hopefully and this can take a while but you need to be patient. Its a good thing your seeing someone in the mean time.

DO NOT COME OF THE MEDICATION!! Important that you keep taking it as what the doctor said. Unless they say otherwise then you can but they havent. You need to take it no matter what. I dont know how long you been on the medication for but you should atleast give it time to work. Not all medications dont work on everyone but you have been on your forth one now and theres got to be one of them what does work for you.

You know you always got us to talk to in the mean time and atleast you got your husband there to support you. You know hes not going anywhere and hes always at the end of the phone or you could always arrange to talk to him on Skype two. When he does come back you both can sit down and talk about things. Also do you have kids? If so think about them as a postive influence to help you get through this and do anything to get back to urself again for them. They are the most important people in your life no matter what!!

Pleaae keep reaching out on here and consider what I mentioned to you in the mean time. Try and carry on as normal if you can and keep busy. You didnt mention if you work or not but take it easy if you do and confide in someone at work if possible.

Im here if you wanna talk x

Return to “Your Story”