New life. Important lessons learned!!!

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Mrsderby

New life. Important lessons learned!!!

Postby Mrsderby » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Hello all. 2 months ago I was put on a medication for migraines. over the last 2 months I developed blackouts, amnesia events, suicidal thoughts, and worse. Anyway, 10 days ago I finally was able to go inpatient at BH for a crisis med change. I found out that the neurologist had me on 6 times the standard dose of the medication!!! It almost killed me. The last day I was taking my medication, forgetting, and taking it again. This went on all day. I almost died. I don't remember the day at all. I stress I was not trying to kill myself, I just did not know what I was doing. a couple of days before I had gone to ER to be admitted into BH but they would not do it. I am clean now and on different meds to control the migraines and feel better then I have in a long time. I have, however, a lot of difficulty with my memory still.

The moral of the story is, if you are on a medication and it is making you sick - get a second opinion. do something. do not wait. You have to advocate for your own health.

Signed,
Gladtobeback:)

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm glad you found help. :)

balcony

Postby balcony » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 pm

(((Mrsderby))) I am so glad you asked the right questions and got help. Yes, patients must educate themselves on treatment options and medications. A patient must be an advocate for their own care. Take care and I hope things really start to improve for you.

Mrsderby

(((balcony)))

Postby Mrsderby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am

I am in the process of trying to find a therapist now. I needed one before but the last two months have left me absolutely traumatised. (forgive my spelling :)) I am angry at the neuro, angry at the ER Dr that would not admit me and then I spent 9 days at the worst BH hospital in the world. I am afraid there was actual damage done but don't know where to go to find out. I was wronged in so many ways and know there is nothing I can do about it. I feel very powerless.

OK, enough whining. The end result is I am no longer in danger and feeling better. My memory is a mess but, since I am already on disability and the hardest thing I have to do is housework, I guess I can't cause too much damage:)

Hope all is welll with you. Be well :lol:

balcony

Postby balcony » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 pm

(((((((((((((((((Mrsderby))))))))))))))) oh, one can mess up housework, lol...I do it all the time!! I can understand your anger and I hope that anger you can channel into positive things for your furture. I wish you a fresh start and much hope. Hugs

nadiahoney

what med was it?

Postby nadiahoney » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 pm

What med almost ruined you? Was it topamax? I too have a love/hate relationship with psychiatrists and medicine, it really sucks. Glad you lived but they did NOT help. I hate 'em

Mrsderby

Postby Mrsderby » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Lithim and then an unheard of dose of aamytripteline (elevil). 6 times the usuel dose.

Return to “Your Story”