The Put A Smile On Your Face Post

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Sunlily92, Astrid

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah lol ... a couple was jelly filled too. ha ha :roll:

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Star,

What I like about your stories is that they let me re-frame so many of my stories. I have funny memories like your doughnut story ... but I tend not to think of them. Thanks for reminding me.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:42 am

I'm glad it helps you 100ftpole. :lol:

Tonight I was thinking about other things that make me smile. Our town had its Autumn Harvest festival a couple weeks ago. It's such a great time. The air is filled with the smell of smoke and there are all kinds of old fashioned activities to do at the fairgrounds.

There is hayrides, crafts shows and apple butter and molasses making , vintage car shows , a giant pumpkin growing contest where sometimes the winning pumpkin weighs almost a thousand pounds. No kidding. Tons of good food in the food booths. Things like pizza , hot dogs , nachos and cheese. Although I usually never eat there. Plus there's flea markets. ha ha. I'm obsessed with flea markets. You never know what you might find.

That time of the year always gives me a happy feeling. I love my town and there are so many memories tied to it. It may be really small but it's wonderful.

I've also been still trying to win the trust of that stray cat that has been coming around. I worry a lot about him. He looks like an older cat and I'm afraid he might not make it through the cold winter by himself. I want to train him so he can stay inside with me.

Last night he let me pick him up and actually hug him for the first time. I'll never forget that feeling of holding him in my arms and resting my chin on his head. I didn't even care that he was filthy, it was so nice to be able to hold him like that. I hated to put him down.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:43 am

Another thing that makes me feel happy. Well , happy and sad I guess. But a good happy overall.

It might sound a little weird but there is a really old cemetery near my house. When I was about 15 years old my sister moved into the house on the property right across from the cemetery. About a mile and a half away from where I live now. The house she moved into was massive. I mean massive. It used to be an old county infirmary farm.

I fell in love with that house. Imagine an old fashioned mansion like house built from brick that had old fashioned balcony's and a basement that looked like a real life, honest to God dungeon.

My brother in law told me about a cemetery that was across the road from my sisters house and he took me to see it. It was so old that most of the names and dates on the headstones are completely unreadable and some didn't even have anything written on them at all. Just big stone markers where someone was.

My heart broke for all those people. The grasses and weeds had grown up so tall you could walk right up and bump into a headstone and not even know it was there.

There were two headstones that stood out from all the others. They were large and oddly shaped compared to the headstones they make now and were the largest ones there. You could barely make out the words, but if you tried hard enough you could see the names.

It made me feel really sad because here was these two people that used to be alive just like I was and now here they were in a lost cemetery , way up on a hill in a place so neglected and seemed lost and forgotten to the world. They had a life and a whole world of happiness all their of their own right where I was standing.

I've never been able to forget about them. Even years and years later. Sounds kinda silly I guess since I didn't even know them but I made a vow to someday find out who these people were. It wouldn't change anything but at least somebody would know about them and be still thinking of them.

I've done a lot of research thanks to the internet and just this year I found out who they were. A man named Jacob and his wife Elizabeth. Jacob was born in 1752 and died in 1823. He fought in the revolutionary war and had eleven kids. His wife passed away and he remarried another lady who had the same name as my mom .. " just a cool coincidence " and her father's name was the same name as my mother's father. ha ha another really cool coincidence.

Sometimes when I'm sitting outside watching the stars I think about how life was back in the 1700 and 1800's. I know it was a whole , entire different world back then. Imagine what those people would think of the world now a days. There are so many things I wish they could have lived to be able to see.
:cry:

But I bet you there were many things they could have taught us too back then.

Even though I never knew these people they will always have a little bit of my heart and I'll never forget them. Someday I want to take some flowers up to their graves... just to let them know that a girl 191 years later still thinks of them.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Star,

That is great that you could research that. Is there a historical society in your area? Take a picture of the monument, Write down what you know. Give it to the historical society.

History is a process, By contributing drops to the stream you contribute to its flow. Not all the water in the Mississippi River gets to the gulf .... but enough does that the delta is a beautiful place. :)

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:01 am

I agree with you on that. 8)

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 am

It's been a long time again since I've added anything to this , so here I am again.

The other day I was sitting in my living room and I could hear this .... clickity clang , clickity clang , clickity clang noise followed by a few thumpity thumps on top of my roof.

I thought to myself , " What in the world is that ???!! " So I get up and run outside and couldn't believe it when I seen about five of my cats running back and forth all over my roof.

So here I am standing there with my mouth hanging open wondering how in the world they got up there .....

When one of my tabby cats seen me it took off across the back of the roof and again to my surprise walked right straight down a ladder that was leaning against the side of my house.

As soon as the others seen me they too ran over and climbed down the ladder and back down on the ground like they have been doing it all their lives.

ha ha ....... I guess they were up there playing or having some kind of party.

Now they go up and down it all the time and have a ball playing on the roof.
Last edited by JonsDragonEyes on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

Sounds like they're having a ball Star.

I've seen goats climb ladders, but never cats.

Do you have a way to take a movie and post on youtube?

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Hey there 100ftpole.

I use to have a youtube account. I'll have to get another one soon. :lol:

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 pm

The word is that the Internet is more cat friendly then dog friendly :)

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:23 am

This one is for you 100footpole you asked so .. lol

This morning one of my cats came in from the outside carrying something in it's mouth. It looked to me like a big brown leaf. He ran inside like he was really excited and I didn't think too much about if for a second because he is always playing with old giant leaves that blow around the yard.

Well it wasn't a leaf this time , he happened to let loose of the " leaf " for a second and it was a bird. The bird let out a few loud chirps and started flying all over my entire living room with my cat even crazier than the bird close behind it like a giant white streak.

So here is this wild bird flying crazed all over my living room , my cat even crazier running around trying to get it ..... and me at the end running around trying to get my cat.

finally I tackled my cat , put him back outside and got the bird and held it really gently against my chest until I could get it safely back outside. I let it loose at the end of my yard.

The poor little thing had it's mouth hanging wide open breathing hard because it was so scared but it did fly away thank goodness so at least I know it will be okay.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:19 pm

The image of you cradling the bird, letting it feel safe until it recovers, is a beautiful one ... and yes I smiled.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Thank you. I love my cats dearly. The only downside to having a cat is they are natural born hunters. I can't stand to see anything get hurt.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Star,

Read the book "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman ... or at least read about the book on Wikipedia :D

I think there were a bunch of cable TV programs with the same theme ... what would the world be like if we all disappeared. I think that cats did better than dogs ...

I think the best things we can bring to the world are reverence and compassion. That's why I love this thread.

CrazyKiss

Postby CrazyKiss » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Knowing that the people in my life are the ones who will remain in my life for now on and this shows that I am able to trust people again :)

Return to “Your Story”