This Could Be Why You Are Depressed or Anxious

News and discussion.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Spleefy

This Could Be Why You Are Depressed or Anxious

Postby Spleefy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 am

Hi Folks,

I saw this in my recommend list on YouTube. It is a TED talk by Johann Hari on the causes of depression and anxiety. I'm not sure why it was in my recommendations--I wasn't even looking up depression, but I'm so glad I found this gem of a talk. It is by far one, if not THE, best TED talks on depression I’ve seen.

In my time living with depression for over ten years, much of what he says is absolutely spot on with what I believe and what I discovered in my own experience with depression, including going beyond just the chemical imbalance, finding meaning and purpose in our lives, and connecting with other people.

One of the things he says is:“we need to talk less about chemical imbalances and more about the imbalances in the way we live”. What a powerful and illuminating statement.

Depression is not a Prozac deficiency. While antidepressant drugs can bring relief for some people, they don’t give your life meaning nor deal with the root cause of depression. I corrected my own chemical imbalance with food and exercise, but I still have to continuously work on finding meaning in my life. Forming meaningful relationships with other people, and going on a spiritual path has put me in the right direction and why I am happier than I have ever been.

Something that also really stood out for me is when he says...

“You’re depression is not a malfunction—it’s a signal. It’s telling you something”.

This is exactly what I learned in my own experience with depression. As I said in other posts, depression is a signal that is telling us something is wrong in our lives. This involves all areas of human functioning, whether physical, psychological, spiritual or all of the above. Once we listen to this signal and met our needs, depression will have no choice but to dissipate.

I connected with this talk and the speaker, so I thought I would share it in hopes it will do the same for you!

This could be why you're depressed or anxious | Johann Hari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB5IX-np5fE
Jehovah is close to the brokenhearted; he saves those who are crushed in spirit.—Psalm 34:18

Return to “Mental Health News”