New Year Resolutions May harm us than do Good

News and discussion.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

illGuyX

New Year Resolutions May harm us than do Good

Postby illGuyX » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 pm

According to Mind, we should not try and pin a list of self imporovements for the new year.

Instead of easily broken resolutions, the charity has suggested a few different steps to take to help improve mental health.

Being active - exercise releases endorphins and even a gentle stroll is beneficial for mental well-being
    Going green - evidence has shown that connecting with nature can boost moods
    Learn something new - it will keep minds stimulated and give confidence
    Give back to the community - it can be just as rewarding for you as those you choose to help

Read full article here.

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 pm

I dont really have a resolution its more like a self-improvement to keep me going.. wouldn't that and resolution mean the same thing though? I don't know..??

illGuyX

Postby illGuyX » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Ya I think I may of made the title of this topic a bit miss leading, yet it is meant to get people's attention to read it. I think I can also see your confusion, I believe they talking about not overloading or taking up so many hefty "self improvements". As nature of human beings, we struggle to change so easily there.

Here is another article here. Explaining the concept in a different way.

There are more news articles on the topic if you Google News Search, "charity mind new years resolutions".

I'll try and explain a bit more myself here too whilist I'm here :)

The charity Mind said according to the BBC News,

"Mind has urged people not to feel they must start 2009 armed with resolutions for self-improvement. "

They say if you push yourself to try these types of resolutions, "Hefty Self Improvements" if we break them due to some ill factors of our lives. That we could be making ourselves feel let down and our feelings would be even more lower.

We should not arm ourself into such tough "Self Improvement" for New year resolutions until our minds feel mentally strong for those. We should do those when we feel the moment and time is right for us, with little pressure on our mind.

The charity Mind has suggested 4 different types of New Year resolutions that are more easily achievable. Achieve those and we'll feel more happier quicker. Also these smaller achievements could eventually make us more mentally stronger and lead us to encouraging our, "self improvements" even more. :)

And if we do fail our hefty self improvements, don't beat ourselves up about it, we can always try again another time ^^.

Did my, 'explaining a bit more' help clear the fog there?

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:20 pm

i can understand what you mean now illguy :). But either if its a resolution i break or just a goal at any period of my life I would still feel that same let down..I dont' know, I do get what you mean though.. Resolutions are often unkept and that letdown feeling from that is hard to handle. Like you said, you should make goals when you believe you are ready for them. :).
Thanks for the post illguyX

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Didn't do one, or two, did none this year. See what happens.

They said dare to dream, but then dreams don't come true.

Warmie 8)

Return to “Mental Health News”