Low iron and depression

News and discussion.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Maria1000

Low iron and depression

Postby Maria1000 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:35 am

I was wondering if low iron can lead to depression and/or effect your depression.

Prycejosh1987

Re: Low iron and depression

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:16 pm

Maria1000 wrote:I was wondering if low iron can lead to depression and/or effect your depression.

I dont think iron cures depression personally. I was depressed and i had alot of iron, and vitamins. The way i overcame depression, was to be more optimistic and think differently and prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Alot of the time things worked out for me when i changed my mindset. Spirituality helps alot too.

LydiaAlexa

Re: Low iron and depression

Postby LydiaAlexa » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Without actually developing anemia, some individuals are iron deficient. The longing for ice is a rare sign of iron deficiency. A psychiatric term for craving ice exists in pagophagia. You will want to get your iron levels tested if you crave cold.

Due to its association with dopamine, iron deficiency may lead to stress, one of the neurotransmitters in the brain that makes us content. Iron is needed in the brain for dopamine production.[3] Our bodies use protein-rich tyrosine. Dopamine-producing foods, but this exists only in the presence of iron.[4] Dopamine deficiency can lead to stress, anxiety, and even movement problems such as restless leg syndrome.[5] Think of it like this:
Fatigue
Apathy
Anxiety / Depression
Poor Concentration
Restless Leg Syndrome
The number, scale, and shape of red blood cells as well as the amount of hemoglobin in the blood are determined by regular blood tests. These tests provide insight into the iron status, but in all patients, they can not diagnose iron deficiency reliably.[6] Measuring anything called ferritin is the most accurate way to test for body stores of iron. Ferritin is the storing medium of iron in the body and the most effective iron deficiency examination.

Return to “Mental Health News”