Computers/Electronics/Gadgets

Other hobbies and interests.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Ok, thanks alot!

Well, the desktop wouldn't come on after a storm hit. I don't know if that could had done it or not. Lightning?

It probably is the interference with the thunder and lighting that is the problem. It's been like that since I got DSL.(5years ago.) It's not a big problem. I just have to wait maybe a few minutes till the storm passes then it comes back on.
The modem and computer is plugged into a surge protector, yes.

I have anti virus, and somewhere I heard, it was better to use search engines than using your browser. I guess it's because you don't go right into the site like you said. Also, you can read the description below the link to decide if it's legit or whatever.
Again, thanks for the info. :)

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 am

In gadgeting....

I am seriously thinking of fooling around with/testing out the Mobility Modder for ATI & Nvidia that Driver Heaven put out (hardware heaven).

For the one tablet that has been taken apart, I've been trying to figure out how to clean the glass & lcd display itself.

Doing a 7 pass secure wipe on an external 500gb drive I had lying around took about 2 days.... :shock: If I get anymore external drive, I think I will try to go with something less than 250GB.

A 5 pass secure wipe I did on an 80gb drive took about 4hrs....

I had an accident with the 500gb, so I am delegating it to backup duties.... (which even if I lose the backup, it's not a big deal). I just am not sure if the drive has NOT been damaged or what....

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 am

((((((((((((((( Crystal ))))))))))))))))))

This is so over my head. I know how to start and stop my computer, that's about it, LOL.

Good luck with whatever it is you are doing.

Warmie

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:35 am

It's over my head too most of the time.... but I try not to let it win! :lol:

I can compete & it doesn't have to come at the cost of negativity, enviousness & so on....

The mobility modder is a tool to help with the graphics for older computers (how things look on the screen). That's my first glance understanding of it.

About the hard drive.... I did a secure wipe because it dropped on the floor by accident. The wipe was to prevent my personal information from being recovered (easily).

The secure wipe took a while because my external hard drive was big and how many times it was wiped. (Maybe also speed came into play....)

Before you dispose of a computer, especially the hard drive, it's a good idea to do a secure wipe of the drive (so that your information is not easily recovered.

What I have been trying to do lately is not save anything on the hard drive of the computer itself. (I use pen drives, external hard drive I can just plug into the computer, cd/dvd, etc. to store my stuff & then keep a backup of that....)

This really started because I got an early version of netbook.... The hard drive was really small & I have to be careful how I use it (conserve where I can).

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm

((((((((((((((( crystal ))))))))))))))))

Gives crystal the gold star for the day.

:)

Warmie

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 am

:) ((((((((((((((((((( Warmie ))))))))))))))))))))))))

I haven't done any tech stuff in a while, but I guess I'm taking my break. The other day, I was looking at this old tablet that I had put Windows 7 on, sometime ago.

The only thing I could conclude at the time was that: Windows makes me tired. :lol: I love it for what it is, but it does make me tired.

I'm not a Mac person really, but I do enjoy using it more than Windows right now. I just find it to be less stressful overall.... (Oh well....)

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 pm

(((((((( Crystal ))))))))))

You still earned that star! :)

Warmie

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:27 am

I finally found the perfect computer!! I'm not endorsing any particular brand/product, but in terms of a prebuilt, right now an HP Pavilion Elite is where it's at for me.

It has one of the latest, latest, latest, latest, latest processors out right now (an AMD Phenom II X6). The graphics card is decent. The only things I'm disappointed in at a glance are the lack of USB 3.0 sockets & maybe the lack of a blue-ray burner. I'm being extremely nit-picky though.... :lol:

When you buy a computer, you want it to have a really GOOD PROCESSOR!!

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:28 pm

(((((((((((( Crystal )))))))))))))))

WTG...

Warmie

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 am

The saga continues.... !!

After getting the desktop (the unit itself), shopping was done for a monitor, battery backup, wireless/network printer & other gadgets for productivity or backup. (usb key/pen drive; usb external drive, ink, etc.)

Then, I plugged up everything & turned on the computer to test if it worked. The only thing I haven't tackled yet is the printer. Running the wires was TEDIOUS. I took care to run them in a way that they would look neater & not pull (stress the wire). Also, I worked around the spaces in the desk & placed the cords so as to avoid them tangling up with each other. Um....

Maybe, I put too much effort into setup.... In addition to dealing with the wires, I had to bring down from upstairs: 2 end tables, a roll-away chair, speakers, cables & other equipment. I also moved some things upstairs. Did I mention that I did it myself?

Next comes configuration (which I'm not looking forward to at all)!!

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:37 pm

((((((((((((((( Crystal )))))))))))))))

A braver person than I. Good luck hon.

Warmie

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Finally decided to upgrade the cell phone.... It was time.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm

((((((((((((( crystalgaze ))))))))))))))))

Good for you. I got a different phone a few months back, new number and all. Loving it.

Warmie

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 am

I couldn't resist the LG800G Tracfone I saw recently.... Supposedly, it is a touchscreen phone.... I am really curious to see it. The previous phone I had, I gave it to my former boyfriend, since he lost the other one I gave him in a freak situation. (He didn't like technology very much....)

He could have gotten back the other one but he did not do something or the other to retrieve it. I had kept reminding him about getting the other one back, but it just didn't happen. Thank goodness the phones were not more than $20.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:35 am

(((((((((((( Crystal )))))))))))))

You weren't out a lot then. Good luck with the new.

Warmie

Return to “Other/Miscellaneous Interests”