New to all of this

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

whoopwhopimamop

New to all of this

Postby whoopwhopimamop » Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm

I've been struggling with depression for years, but this is my fist time ever posting on a site like this. Its kind of scary and I do not know what to expect. But I have no one to talk to, besides my therapist, and I think I need some people.

Well uh. Hello, hi. I'm Jack, I'm pretty young (16, 17 next month) and I really just.. don't know what to say?
I, uh, have pets. Its easy to talk about them. Right now I have five cats, three rats, one dog and one guinea pig. Its a lot but I love them. The rats and one of the cats are my personal pets. I've owned rats since I was 13 and and they are lovely pets. Right now I have three girls, Snow (a fancy young red-eyed albino), Star (a fancy white/brown variegated) and Butterscotch (a fancy white/brown hooded)

I am going through emdr and it is very difficult. sometimes I disappear for a while so I can get a handle on my emotions, or because I can't handle responding atm. but right now i am very socially starved so i will probably respond fast

MiddleChild

Re: New to all of this

Postby MiddleChild » Tue May 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi whoopwhopimamop,

It's nice to meet you.
Having people to talk to and then friends who care about you is very important in life.
We are designed as social creatures.

So how does your normal day look like?
Do you go to school?
I don’t want to ask too many questions and assume things because you might get uncomfortable.

Its okay to disappear, we need our space, so don’t worry about it.

nightingale77

Postby nightingale77 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 am

Hello there! Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your life. When I first read your post, my first thought is “boy, this guy is so young!!” I’m 41 you see! Haha Anyways, in a way, we are Glad that you are here. You are brave to seek help and taking active steps to get better and that is very commendable! And you love animals! I have 2 dogs! One of the things that stood out from your post is you are going through EMDR. I went through that too and sometimes I do go back and see my therapist to clear up some bottled up emotions . Personally I like it and it helped me tremendously. How does that do for you so far? Journeying with you and praying for you! God bless!

whoopwhopimamop

Postby whoopwhopimamop » Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

MiddleChild wrote:Hi whoopwhopimamop,

It's nice to meet you.
Having people to talk to and then friends who care about you is very important in life.
We are designed as social creatures.

So how does your normal day look like?
Do you go to school?
I don’t want to ask too many questions and assume things because you might get uncomfortable.

Its okay to disappear, we need our space, so don’t worry about it.

I do not go to school right now due to anxiety. I will be returning to a brick and mortar school next year, though, as online in not right for me.
My usual day is spent at home, mostly taking care of the animals, drawing or reading, and attempting to make some friends or have conversations. I also like to bake, so I usually a few times a week, especially since my family seems to love the sweets I make. I also spend a lot of time with my mother, as well, because it's really nice to get out of the house even if it just means I'm helping her at work.
Otherwise, day to day, my scheduled is usual and pretty routine.

Even if its not much.. it felt really nice to talk about what I actually do. I always feel like I am wasting all of my time with nothing, but typing it out makes me see that I am doing something, even if it is little.

nightingale77 wrote:Hello there! Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your life. When I first read your post, my first thought is “boy, this guy is so young!!” I’m 41 you see! Haha Anyways, in a way, we are Glad that you are here. You are brave to seek help and taking active steps to get better and that is very commendable! And you love animals! I have 2 dogs! One of the things that stood out from your post is you are going through EMDR. I went through that too and sometimes I do go back and see my therapist to clear up some bottled up emotions . Personally I like it and it helped me tremendously. How does that do for you so far? Journeying with you and praying for you! God bless!

Yeah, I guess I am pretty young. But thats alright I think.
I am really passionate about animals, I've always been around them. My older brother used to be a dog breeder and he usually had anywhere from 10 to 30 pitbulls at a given time, so I definitely grew up loving a lot of puppies. Though I especially love rodents, and to a lesser extent mustelidae, and I really hope to one day own a pouched rat. I'd also love to see a capybara, maybe even pet one.
So far EMDR is hard. Good, but hard. My therapist says she sees a very good difference, so far, though. She says just in the way I hold myself and the expressions I make that things seem to be working. I think it'll end up being very good, to work through my feelings and events in the end, even if its hard right now. At least that is really what I hope.

nightingale77

Postby nightingale77 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:54 am

Woah! You are amazing! You can bake too! I’m a total noob in the kitchen! Love to eat but cannot cook. Or rather, I prefer not to as I’ll lose all the appetite after cooking! And you can do so many stuff! Even if you are not doing anything during the day, i think that is perfectly ok too. I came from a place where everybody must be seen doing something then you will be perceived as “hardworking or diligent”! That is so stressful all the time cos if I’m chilling, I’ll be perceived as LAZY! Grrrr! Even Jesus took small breaks in between to pray and rest! :)

Yes, I agreed that EMDR is hard but like you said, it’s good. Most importantly, you have asafe space with your therapist you can talk to o that it really good! Press on!

Return to “New Member Introductions”