About Questionnaires + Health Checks

Miscellaneous Posts.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

crystalgaze

About Questionnaires + Health Checks

Postby crystalgaze » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:01 am

I am starting to wonder whether health checks and questionnaires for mental health conditions are flawed in some way.

My biggest problems with them is that the answers are always either Yes or No & that a lot of times, the questions are unclear or don't indicate a time or are too narrow or aren't detailed enough & are ultimately confusing.

I remember one questionnaire a doctor gave me had about 10 questions on it & they were all, "Have you ever had/experienced" questions. It didn't ask any about how I was currently or even if I were having any problems. Of course, because I answered the questions honestly, I was "bipolar". (What, am I supposed to lie?!)

I might still truly be "bipolar" but to me, the questionnaire did not do a good job of determining/diagnosing any thing.

What are your thoughts? Maybe my doctor wasn't using the proper questionnaire???

JamieW

Postby JamieW » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:03 pm

I think you made a good point. Though not all people are honest on them either. I remember doing one with a neurologist when I was in high school. I didn't want my mother to find out and over react or who knows what I was really scared of. But I wasn't honest and did not recieve any treatment for the real problem.

On the flip side, there is nothing wrong with writing in notes on the questionaire and explaining your answers. Or you can also write your own concerns down and present them.

Monty

Postby Monty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 pm

I have also found it odd when you answer that dreaded questionnaire, whether you suffer from depression or not.

Like you said, so many of the statements are worded so odd, that you can answer yes or no, to the same question.

Have also wondered how if you answer 5 questions with a yes, and it takes 6 to actually be depressed (according to their standards), what if you answered one of their confusing questions, not the way they would want to you.
I have been in several self help groups. Often they have a questionnaire that you fill out at the start, How you have coped with several emotions over the course of the past week.

I have enough trouble remembering how I felt an hour ago. Think that they are so stupid and inane. That, much to the chagrin of the facilitators, I refused to fill them out.

Oh Monty, you are such a rebel.

JamieW

Postby JamieW » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Monty wrote:I have been in several self help groups. Often they have a questionnaire that you fill out at the start, How you have coped with several emotions over the course of the past week.

I have enough trouble remembering how I felt an hour ago. Think that they are so stupid and inane.

AMEN!

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:57 am

I am glad it's not only me who feels the same. Jamie, you gave some good suggestions. I will try to do something like that. It can be so hard to write notes on the side & present stuff, especially when going to the doctor/therapist for the 1st time.

What I originally asked about happened when I first went to the doctor when I came home a few years ago.

Somehow, I always felt rushed also....

Another flaw I found in tests given by the doctors (in this case the eye doctors) is how they'll want to test your eyes immediately after they turn off the light or after shining light in your eyes & you're supposed to somehow see properly & your supposed to somehow give accurate results on the eye examination. Every one knows it can take some time for your eyes to adjust to different lighting & yet, the ridiculousness continues. :roll:

(I wear glasses, so it is particularly annoying for me.)

Return to “Other Thoughts, Feelings and Messages”