A book I ready has affected me...

Miscellaneous Posts.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

adelenicoley8

A book I ready has affected me...

Postby adelenicoley8 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:41 am

Has anyone here heard of the book Shoot the Damn Dog? I have been suffering a particularly bad bout of depression and decided that reading a book about someone else's experience might help me. And it did. Shoot the Damn Dog was really inspiring, it made me feel less alone to read about her struggle, it didn't sugar coat anything, and it wasn't some hunky-dory ending. She still struggled, but she felt better at the end. She made progress and her life changed and she grew and she had hope at the end. That book helped me sleep at night, convinced me that it wasn't over, I clung to it.

BUT THAT'S NOT IT. I googled the author, curious to read more about her life and her daughter, etc. She committed suicide. 8 years after the book was published. This absolutely crushed me and really sent me spiraling. I had a lot of hope after reading this book, but this revelation knocked the wind out of me. It took away that feeling that it will get better. I don't know what to think anymore. The author had hope and it was once again snuffed from her. If even she can't do it, how can I? Can you guys believe it?

Cory2510

Re: A book I ready has affected me...

Postby Cory2510 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:03 am

I believe in you

whittomp13

Postby whittomp13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

I am sorry to hear that the revelation of the author's life is affecting you so deeply but you do not have to lose hope. You are so loved and wanted. You are a valuable person in this world and there is a way to believe in hope. Have you considered talking to a professional about how you are feeling? Maybe it might help you sort out the way you are feeling. If you do not feel comfortable doing that, here is a great article that may help you process what you are going through. http://bit.ly/2fOXsDH Praying for you to never give up hoping.

GraceH

Postby GraceH » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:47 pm

[quote="adelenicoley8"]Has anyone here heard of the book Shoot the Damn Dog? I have been suffering a particularly bad bout of depression and decided that reading a book about someone else's experience might help me. And it did. Shoot the Damn Dog was really inspiring, it made me feel less alone to read about her struggle, it didn't sugar coat anything, and it wasn't some hunky-dory ending. She still struggled, but she felt better at the end. She made progress and her life changed and she grew and she had hope at the end. That book helped me sleep at night, convinced me that it wasn't over, I clung to it.

BUT THAT'S NOT IT. I googled the author, curious to read more about her life and her daughter, etc. She committed suicide. 8 years after the book was published. This absolutely crushed me and really sent me spiraling. I had a lot of hope after reading this book, but this revelation knocked the wind out of me. It took away that feeling that it will get better. I don't know what to think anymore. The author had hope and it was once again snuffed from her. If even she can't do it, how can I? Can you guys believe it?[/qu
ote]

Maybe she wrote the book so someone could have that chance and make it all the way through. I believe in YOU :)
*hugs*

Return to “Other Thoughts, Feelings and Messages”