Rude customer or was he right?

Miscellaneous Posts.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

BettaBoi

Rude customer or was he right?

Postby BettaBoi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Hey everybody! something happened yesterday at work (Fastfood place) and I can't stop thinking about it. I was taking these ladies' order, I assumed they were Filipinos because I recognized their language, I'm Filipino myself but I was born in a different part of the Phillippines, so I speak a different language.
Anyway, they spoke to me in English, and so did I, then suddenly the guy behind them waiting in line said it was silly of us to speak in English instead of speaking in our own language, he said it's like we don't even know our own language. He even said we are Filipinos, but like how did he even know? heck! they could be from Malaysia! or Taiwan! I wanted to say something back but I didn't want to get fired, so I didn't say anything. I moved away after taking the ladies' orders because I did not want to interact with that guy. I don't know why but I cannot stop thinking about it, it's making my anxiety and depression worse and worse.

Things I could've said back were
"This is how we improve our English, you got a problem with that?"
"Yes we're Filipinos, but we're from different parts of the country, we speak different languages!"
"Does it really bother you that much?"

and one thing that really got into my nerves, was when my co worker was taking his order, the guy was so confident and laughing and sh%t..... like he didn't even realize how rude, immature, racist his comments were.

I'm starting to feel like I am the bad guy, for talking in English.... this is probably nothing to some of you, but it's f&*cking me up, I can't stop thinking about it.

Ghostbusters

Re: Rude customer or was he right?

Postby Ghostbusters » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:13 am

I've had bad days at work. Where someone would say something seemingly small but ignorant. And I couldn't get it out of my head. And I realized that some people lack morals. They are so blissfully ignorant that they can't realize when what they said could be taken in a rude way. He's uneducated clearly and knows nothing about anything but himself. Try to understand that not everyone understands the things you do ,the way you do. It doesn't at all make it right but never let the ignorance of someone else that lacks knowledge keep you up at night. Ignorance never wins. Sleep good friend !

CitM

Postby CitM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 am

What this guy was probably trying to say, was that it was cool to be bilingual and he didn't have a problem with it if it made things go faster :). Standing in line is not everyone's forte. :) Maybe he was also trying to assure you, that he is "not afraid" to live in a diverse culture and prefers it. I would try to look at it, in it's best light.

Helloraspberries1

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:10 pm

No he was definitely rude. No member of staff has to deal with a customer like that. He was out of order and should of been spoken to by management.

Please don't think you did anything wrong. I've been in number if situations before. I recently worked in retail shop and customer was in hurry and said can you help me find this and I said sorry we don't sell it so got annoyed then asked for this in this section and that. They were so rude to them. They thought I was stupid. At that time I should of got someone else to deal with them them but they made me feel so small that all day I didn't feel myself again.

I was upstairs crying. Member of team saw me nut I'm glad now I don't have to do this anymore. I know in my new job I will get the same but ive learnt from experience and I know if I can't deal with something is to ask and people don't like it tough cuz that's all I can do.

You should never think it's you. Customer is never always right.

Just keep doing a good job. Your get people what thank you for it.

That customer seemed to be a racist anyway.

anyxo

Postby anyxo » Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 am

He might have not meant to be rude even though that was the effect. Maybe heś just socially unaware and didnt realize what he said was rude or said in a rude way. Or maybe he was just looking to be mean. Probably had a shitty day himself and wanted to kick someone else around. If you wanted to respond, I think you could have explained about being from different regions without getting rude yourself or risking your job.

Iḿ glad to see that Iḿ not the only one who sometimes feels deeply bad about themselves after a customer is rude or nasty to them. I still occasionally think of rude comments from customers from YEARS ago... and I will feel bad all over again. I mean YEARS. And seemingly small situations but I still think of them. So... I think I get what you may be feeling. Iḿ sorry. Youre not a bad guy and you didnt do anything wrong imo.

Return to “Other Thoughts, Feelings and Messages”