Am on an island

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Belanne

Am on an island

Postby Belanne » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 am

Does anyone else feel like they are totally alone? Like you are raising flags that noone sees? I cant count how many times Ive reached out with " yes I suffer from depression ' or " yes Im on antidepressants" and received the " mm really" and change the topic response..its like no one wants to know..if you said.." I have cancer" everyone would rally around you but depression.....

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:16 am

Hi there Belanne.... I've had that happen, too.... Actually, depression is not something I really talk about with much of any one where I am.... They are not really open to it.... I'm sure there are other depressed people....

I would not talk to any one really, even as a last resort.... because a lot of people do not mean you any good in general.... For example, they will only listen to you talk, only to find your weakness & use it against you.... Every one is NOT like that, but... I feel I'm better off not taking my chances....

I've taken my chances a few times, but then I have withdrawn because it's not that other person's problem & I can see where they do not want to deal with me any longer....

About cancer..... I've seen the same response from people that you describe for depression..... Maybe the folks are just callous... I don't know....

I've only really found comfort/sanctuary here.....

Don't despair.... You're not alone... Can you find out if there are any support groups where you are? Sorry I can't be of more help....

Post on here more to see if it helps. I'm sure someone will reply. We do our best to be supportive of everyone....

Belanne

Postby Belanne » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks for your response but you seem even more lost then me. I believe that people love me but dont know how to respond or help. i hope you canfind a ray of light to see you through.. your response vhas helped me :-)

Mich

Postby Mich » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:45 am

I have had that response several times. Like Crystal, I now just avoid talking about it with anyone. It hurts me to get brushed off, so now I just avoid those situations. I believe that people just really don't know how to react to depression. The stigma is still there.

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:02 am

Maybe/Maybe not.... :) (to Belanne's 2nd post) Since I can't/don't really want to talk to people.... I make sure to have other things on hand to help me such as music, exercise, the occasional video game, computers<---(Thank goodness for those especially!), etc...

I believe that people--that is, my immediate (father & mother, forget my brother who badmouths me a lot of the time)--love me....
(& even then I would have to wonder)

It is more of a concept vs. a feeling for me.... I just don't feel it.

When I was wronged & publicly to the point that it was in the newspaper around 2001, most of the community where I am said nothing & if they said any thing, the people only had negative things to say.

I don't hold a grudge. It's past tense, but that's where the distrust comes into play.... I do not believe I can trust them with my personal business, & I certainly don't trust them with my person.

Another time, just last year, when it really hit home for me was when I had these boxes my parents sent. The boxes fell in the road, I could have been run over by a car, & it started raining.

& there were lots of people standing out there just sitting around gawking.... Out of every one who was present & there must have been about 10 to 20 people nearby, no one helped & only 1 person out of that group of people said a word/asked if I were okay was a female security guard....

I don't have time.... If I allow them in & they wrong me, I don't know what I would do. I think I would crack some place & end up in jail.... So for my sake, I really do not bother.

& it isn't just that.... More has been done, but I will stop here... I think you see my point.

xn728

hey

Postby xn728 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:29 am

were all lost but not in here ,this is a family ,people dont know how to deal with depression ,but dont let it worry you ,tell them make them know what is wrong ,dont hide it ,with cancer and i know this sounds awful but i dont mean it to be ,it can be cured ,or sadly it kills ,ive had to family die of cancer ,depression in my case and many others can last forever ,but we are special and we learn to cope ,in here we help and talk and can have a laugh ,i hide nothing here and im pretty weird ,i was exepted and now i just tell it as it is ,,,,,welcome xn728 ken depression gives us many gifts ,you will find these along the road you travel ,,,,

Return to “Expressions”