New here

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

tommyboy

New here

Postby tommyboy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi I am a new user, have been going though depression for a number of years lots of ups and downs. But I think I have hit a major down, I am married with two kids under the age of three and well depression is really taking a toll on my marriage and my life in general. I could use some help, I must say I am on meds even if I don't feel they do much, doctor seems to think they do. Could use a bit of a push to get my life back on the right track, I do know there are not professionals here.

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

hey and welcome Tommyboy :)

aim

Postby aim » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi Tommy. Amy here, thanks for posting! Seems that you and your wife have a lot on your plates, huh? Two young children, although beuatiful and rewarding, can cause a lot of stress on marriage and life! Which medication are you on?

Have you thought about counseling? Perhaps couples counseling with your wife? It might make her better understand your depression, and be able to cope with it a little bit better.

Stay strong, Tommy. It sounds like you have a life that so many strive for... a loving wife and two wonderful children. The rest will fall into place. Depression is a ugly and evil thing - you can beat it and enjoy life.

tommyboy

Postby tommyboy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Amy I am on two different Meds Wellbutron (spellings is wrong and I would have to look at the other couldn't even guess how to spell it). Counseling well my wife has wanted me to go for some time but I really am not one for talking to others, (most likely part due to depression in the first place).I don't even know how or where to find anything in my area. All I seem to find is crisis line and I don't want to waste anyones time with my feelings and thoughts. I must say this is the most I have talked to someone about it, I don't even say much to my wife anymore which is one part that is destroying our relationship.

aim

Postby aim » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi again, Tommy! Sounds like you have a good wife who only wants you to get the help you need - you're lucky! As far as counseling... do you live in the US? If so, do you have insurance? If you do, your insurance will have a list of providers for therapy. You don't need a psychiatrist (they really only provide meds anyway) you just need a therapist/counselor; since you are being medicated by the doctor already. I really do urge you to seek therapy; to save yourself and your marriage. It's a safe place to talk, and everything you say is confidential. And remember...it's a therapists job to help you through this - they WANT to make you better, Tommy.

As for the Wellbutrin, all I can tell you is that it has helped a lot of people, and doctor's usually prescribe it because it has a low occurrence of side effects. But definitely give it some time to work. I was on Wellbutrin for a while, the brand name, and it did seem to help me tremendously. When my insurance switched me to the generic, all heck broke lose for me! BUT others have had success with the generic as well. All people are different, which means that all medication works differently on everybody. Just watch that it's not making you feel worse; if it is, it is time to switch and try something new.

Keep posting, Tommy - we are here to help!!!

tommyboy

Postby tommyboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks Amy, I am located in Ontario Canada I do have health insurannce from my work I am currently looking into a Therapist/counselor.

aim

Postby aim » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:55 pm

You are most welcome tommy! Please let us know how you are doing, ok? And please also share anything and everything that you want to!

((((((((Tommy))))))))))

depressedforever

Postby depressedforever » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:08 pm

tommy, this is sanah here, just wanted to say if you phone these crises helplines you are not waisting their time and efforts. they are there for people like us who need them.

i hope you get the right help, im on mediaction and it helps though it is limitted. and i dont want to engage in talking therapy, so like you the road to recovery is almost blocked but i am sure you could find a good therapist that you could trust and open up to. hopefuly.

hope you get well soonX

Return to “Expressions”