I don't know why

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Ms.Sheep

I don't know why

Postby Ms.Sheep » Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Fairly recently, I have been diagnosed with depression. However, I have begun to notice that I have been wanting to hurt people. I remember watching my grandma (who has trouble walking) stepping down from the side of the curb into the street. I remember watching her and thinking how easy and satisfying it would be to push her so she would fall face first into the concrete. As I am writing this, I am smiling just thinking about that memory. Of course, I would never do that because I know that hurting anyone is bad and I would face a punishment for doing so, but for whatever reason I wanted to do that and it felt right. That, among other times, I have wanted to hurt others and I'm not sure why. I also don't think that if I did actually hurt someone, I would feel remorse. Not only that, but I've been feeling as though I wouldn't miss or be sad if I never saw any of my friends or family again. Does anyone have answers? Is this common for people with depression?

MarcRiddick

Re: I don't know why

Postby MarcRiddick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:25 am

If you are thinking this way, then you might be dealing with two issues at a time besides depression. But, you need to see a doctor for confirming your mental health condition. Don’t ever look for self-medications at all.

Spleefy

Re: I don't know why

Postby Spleefy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 am

Hi Ms.Sheep,

Thank you for your frankness and for sharing this with us. No, these urges of hurting other people is not a common characteristic of depression, at least not to my knowledge.

These thoughts and urges is not something you want to foster, so it would be prudent for you to talk to someone about this, such as a psychologist. It would be the responsible thing to do. A therapist will help you to understand the origin of those urges and feelings of wanting to hurt other people.

Please let us know how it goes. If you are comfortable with sharing it with us, I would be curious to know the origin of these urges, and if they are related to depression in any shape or form. Most interesting!

Return to “Expressions”