Can migraine cause depression?

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

jamesjohne

Can migraine cause depression?

Postby jamesjohne » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 am

Hi! I am writing this for my wife. She is just diagnosed with depression. She gets upset for no reason. She seems angry all the time for even simple things. She is already on medication for high blood pressure and migraine. Is there any connection between a migraine and depression? Can migraine cause depression? She always has negative thoughts. Whenever I talk with her, all I get from her is negativity. She stays awake during the entire night and sleeps during the daytime. I don't know what is happening to her and I am really worried. We have a 1-year-old kid and she is not taking care of our child. I am very disappointed about that. My friend suggested seeking help from a clinic in Aurora for depression treatment. I am planning to take her there. But I don't know how to convince her. Will this treatment help to overcome her depression? Please share your views and suggestions. Thank you!

DrHPA42617

Re: Can migraine cause depression?

Postby DrHPA42617 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi jamesjohne,

First, I just want to mention that I am not a medical doctor, so take my ramblings with the appropriately sized grain of salt. That being said, I absolutely believe that the migraines and the depressed mood could be related; although, whether one caused the other or if they simply have the same underlying cause is probably impossible to determine. Both migraines and depressed mood are associated with abnormal serotonin levels, just as food for thought. I would strongly encourage you to take her to a depression clinic, a medical clinic, or both. In the meantime, I wish you, your wife, and your kiddo all the best and hope things get better soon.

Cheers.

Return to “Expressions”