i told my mom im depressed and it didnt go well

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

justfornow

i told my mom im depressed and it didnt go well

Postby justfornow » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm a senior in highschool and I've been depressed for awhile now but I don't think I knew it until recently. I think the source of my depression is just that I do everything I can to please my parents and make them proud but they're constantly complaining about how I don't do this and don't do that. I don't have much friends in school either as well. I just feel very unwanted and unloved.

Today I came home and she complained that she got a call that I was late to school(which I am ALL the time) and she's very religious so she was talking about how the devil is making me go to school late to get her upset and all of that. And I just got upset and I ended up telling her about how she treats me and how it makes me feel and that I'm tired because I'm depressed.

And she pretty much said what I expected her too: That there's no reason to feel depressed because I have a bed and I eat and that I should feel grateful instead of unhappy. She also cried and pretty much insinuated that she herself was depressed.

I don't know if the outcome of this was because we were both upset and I should've just sat her down when we were both calmed done but I just feel really shitty right now. Sorry it's so long. I heard all these stories how telling their parents turned out to really help them so not really sure what to do now...

longoverdue1

Re: i told my mom im depressed and it didnt go well

Postby longoverdue1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi, I understand how frustrating it is not to have parents understand, so you aren't alone. I am 20 years old and just told my parents as well. My dad is there for me, but my mom on the other hand used my depression to throw in my face. Do not give up. I will be here as someone to talk too. I know how hard it is to tell people who do not understand how we feel on the inside because sometimes we cant even explain it to ourselves. Try to talk to your mom again once things simmer down, if not like I said I will be someone you can reach out to! Cause honestly I could use some support to. I hope things go well for you. XOXO

Helloraspberries1

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi there, again I know how you feel. My mum and dad was alright about me having depression but I think they kind of guessed anyway.

I'm not saying if your mum knew it would of been any different. I think if parents know what your doing through they would understand a bit more. Again it's not your fault and I'm sorry your mum has been like that.

You told them now. You did the big thing and that's all you can do. Hopefully your mum will come round. Are you able to talk to your dad about anything what's on your mind? Would be able to speak to your mum on your behalf.

I know your mum be taking it to hard because I don't think mum wants there daughter to suffer so even though she's acting like this it don't mean she hates you or anything. It takes time for some people to get use to the idea.

If you can talk to your mum maybe let her know that you are doing something about your depression and your going to see a doctor. That way she will know your being a grown up and taking responsibility and hopefully she will come round.

Please keep reaching out to us and I hope things go ok for now on.

Hugs

saltandlight828

Postby saltandlight828 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Hey, I am sorry telling your mom about your depression did not go well. Since you were kind of arguing maybe wait a day or two and sit down with her and possibly try to discuss it again, when you both are calmer like you said. This may also give your mom a few days to process and think about what you shared with her. Does your school have a wellness center or a counselor you talk to? Thank you for sharing and you are not alone.

TerriK

Postby TerriK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:58 pm

I've been wondering if things are any better? I'm glad your dad is being supportive. Maybe mom is struggling with her support because she doesn't know how? Be patient with her okay? I want to assure you that you will feel lighter in the heart someday. It may be for only a short while or be forever, but you will smile again. Be patient, be kind to and love yourself.

Return to “Expressions”