Music can lighten the load

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Music can lighten the load

Postby CitM » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 pm

I was in my car today driving back home and I heard a rapper on the radio say, "I know you're going through some crap right now, but every day you are above ground is a good day." And he is right.

What other song lyrics have spoken to you when you need to hear it?

specter

Meh

Postby specter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Can't say I actually agree with that sentiment, but if it gets the job done, then that's good.

"Bang My Head" by David Guetta, ft. Sia
    "Untouchable" by Tritonal & Cash Cash
    "Ocean Drive" by Duke Dumont

Those three help me gain a higher perspective. When I hear them, I "read in-between the lines" and the message that I get is basically a reminder that my negative emotions are just a teeny tiny piece of a bigger picture. Pain will come, pain will go; pleasure will come, pleasure will go. ... Keeps me teetering on the fence, to say the least, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not like I've actually fallen off yet. *shrugs*

themortalgarden

This may not be your cup of tea...

Postby themortalgarden » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:46 pm

-But despite the fact that these lyrics come from a metal band called August Burns Red, I invite you to read them and consider what's being said. On a personal note, this is hands down my favorite band of all time. They have gotten me through emotional situations where my distress was such that it felt my heart would stop. Time and time again throughout my life, their music and their positivity have never failed to appeal to me and challenge me to be honest with myself. This brings me to something I wished to say about this particular song that I've pasted the text for below. We are all different in what we accept as influences good enough to trust to such an extent we willingly can allow them to change us, for better or worse. In this song, while the text is positive as a whole --and not counting the inspiring (at least to my ears) music-- what I found seared a spine-chilling, deeply thrilling sensation of motivation, positivity and purpose into me and my situation the first time I really paid attention to what was being said; -was merely the line: Are you at your wits end yet?
As a person I like to challenge myself. It makes me feel like I have a purpose, like I can be sure that however little I may really know about the whole wide world and my role in it, at least by ensuring that I push myself to be the best that I can be in every situation (even if that also means fighting to have patience and keep trying to stay positive with myself and my situation instead of being angry and hurting myself when I feel worthless) I know that in relation to the people around me; all of whom I am supposed to love and respect; (and to the world in general) --I am doing my due diligence, as best I know how to interpret the extent of what's necessary for me to do. And I learn more about who I am and what I'm capable of every day. This line puts me to the test, draws a line in the sand and challenges me to face the question: is this all I can do? No. I can do better, always. Not just regarding personal accomplishments, it can be about something as simple as giving myself time to breathe and think. Am I strong enough to never give up trying to love myself and others? That one line in the song packs such an inspiring punch for me.

August Burns Red
"Existence"

This hollow feeling,
The knowledge that you exist
Amidst your insecurities.
Cover up only to coward out,
And never shutting up
Only to never speak aloud.
Have you dried up entirely?

The walls of a church don't make it holy.
It's what's authentic that completes the sum of it's parts.
Don't excuse yourself from life today on the pretense of your past...

You're hurt. You're broken. That's alright.
This might be what it takes to wake you up...

Are you at your wits end yet? [4x]

The walls of a church don't make it holy.
Security isn't glitzy or glamorous, concrete or cohesive.
Therein lies the truth.
Lift your head up high...

It's what we know we aren't, that makes us who we are. [2x]

That makes us who we are (who we are).
That makes us who we are.

Return to “Expressions”