rambling thoughts of a sleepless mind

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

hazeleyes

rambling thoughts of a sleepless mind

Postby hazeleyes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Have you ever felt like you don't belong? Not like socially, but like in this life. Like maybe you were supposed to be someone or something else. Maybe you were born at the wrong time or place, or century. I feel like I don't belong in this lifetime. I feel trapped in my life, in this world. Maybe it's just the depression talking, I don't know. But I seem to always have this strong overwhelming feeling that I'm not living the life I'm meant to live. And I'm not even sure what that life is supposed to be but I'm positive it's not this one.

Personality types, astrology, psychology, the brain, things like that, are very interesting topics to me. One of my fave books is "please understand me II". If you've ever read it or anything like it, then you know what I mean when I say I'm an INFP. And I'm very proud to be one. I like the the fact that I'm different, unique. INFPs make up a VERY small percent of the population. The only downside is that I sometimes feel so "alone". Like there's no one out there that I can really connect with. I often wonder if I'll ever find my place in this world. I sometimes wish I could be free of all my responsibilities for a while so I can "find myself". But in reality, is that even possible, to be able to find your true self? Or is it just an unattainable dream? Something I'll search for my whole life and never find?

I hate living in today's society. Everything is always about time and money. And unfortunately to be able to "live" in this life you kinda have to go along with it. I hate being so far away from nature. I'm not really physically too far from nature, but I feel like I am, physically, mentally, emotionally. I feel disconnected. Every once in a while I'll get a chance to spend some time in the woods, by the lake, in a field full of nothing but nature. But it's not enough. I'm stuck in this thing called "life".

Ieris

Postby Ieris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:06 am

Hello Hazeleyes,

It was interesting reading your post as I feel the same way about some of the things you mentioned. I kind of understand that feeling of not belonging here, to me it's like having a glass wall between me and the world but who knows, maybe I was the one who put it there in the first place? You said you hate living in today's society so perhaps you have also put up some barriers to distance yourself from this world we live in. So in some way I guess we are the ones trapping/isolating ourselves?

You said that you want to find your place in this world and "find yourself", the first thing that came to my mind was this quote:

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” ― George Bernard Shaw

I agree with it because to me life is about self discovery and self development, there is no perfect/ideal me way ahead who I am trying to "find" and will become once I reach it. People grow and change depending on the paths they choose take in life, this is what shapes them as a person. We have that control because we are the ones making those choices. However, I do think lots of people nowadays are losing their own identities and becoming more and more similar to one another in order to "fit in" society. People may be richer but I wouldn't say they are happier so I can understand your frustration when money seems to be the thing that makes the world go round nowadays.

There are so many people who think about the same things and ask the same questions as you do. It is interesting to see other peoples' perspective on life, if you like reading, there is a book called "A Happy Pocket Full of Money by David Cameron Gikandi" which I highly recommend.

It is a strange world we live in, in some ways we are moving forward yet we are moving backwards. This is all shaped by the people living in it, there are those who create waves, there are those who surf it and there are those who are trying not to drown. As you are an INFP (the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place- The Idealist) you have a lot of work to do.. so start creating waves!! Your personality trait has lots to offer and as there isn't that many of you, then you may need to work twice as hard. Put your skills and talents to good use, don't waste them ^_^

x

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm sorry, but please clue me in on the meaning of INFP!

Ieris

Postby Ieris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 pm

Hello 4EverMe!

It is a personality trait. Check out: www.worldpersonality.com
You can take the test to see which personality you have x

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks leris! :-)

Return to “Expressions”