PTSD, children and family

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Kimama

PTSD, children and family

Postby Kimama » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 am

I want to know how to deal with a upcoming situation.
I thought I should ask what others do. Maybe something will help..

I was in a bad situation and I am awaiting medication to help me cope better with this. I got out of the situation and I thought that everything would be "fine".

My ptsd is not from military, but from sexual and other forms of abuse. I have been having severe anxiety, hair pulling, panic, paranoia, and much much more going on. I have been seeing things as well while awake or asleep. I do not sleep well. I have moments where I could be 'at-risk', but I am trying to make things work the best I can.

I am trying to fix medications that were promised to be ordered for me, but currently I am on nothing to help with these issues.

getting to the point-- one of my kids plans on spending the night this weekend sat-sun. I am worried about her seeing me in a 'episode' since I am flying thru these on a regular daily basis. I am trying to keep things "in-control" , but that is really impossible at this point.

I am concerned that she has a depression issue as well that is not diagnosed. She mentioned some things today that kinda made me think this. She lives with her dad. He has publicly slandered me regarding the kids. She is a teen.

My mom is not supportive of this, as I moved back home and -- its just not going good. We don't talk about issues because of her issue of gossiping and "picking" at things. She triggers about half of my panic. I realize that with meds and counseling along with support groups I should do better. I hope anyways, but I am in the beginning stages of setting up support in this area.

What do you guys do to handle panic, anxiety, and ptsd when it comes to dealing with children and other family members?

:cry: thanks.

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:48 am

Hi Kimami,

Welcome to the forum. My two boys spend the weekend with me and I understand your concerns about how your daughter will view you. Myself I don't hhave the same issues as you do and it's easier forme. II'm a chronic depressive and have some anxiety issues, but nothing so severe as what you describe. I'm glad to hear you at least have some medications coming that offer help.

My last therapist told me that she suffered from severe anxiety and it had made her earlier life very difficult. A good part of how she dealt with it was to get a lot of exercise every day. She had horses, sheep, dogs and cats, she bicycled a lot, climbed rocks. All kinds of stuff tokkeep her from getting an attack.

When I have the boys I try (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to do something with them. One weekend it was teaching them to wire new plug ends into an electric cord. Another time it was how to change a tire on a car. Nothing as fun as playing lazer tag or going bicycling, but I'm not very athletic that way.

I hope it goes well with your daughter. Remember, you are who you are as is your girl. I would hope that you can love her as she is and in return I hope she will love you as you are, not just as who you pretend to be. It sounds good, but I recognize that it's a lot to ask of a teenager. Good luck.

Kimama

Postby Kimama » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 am

Well today is Sat, she is over for her visit.

I am off the medication for ptsd, as it caused too many complications. I am still dizzy and unwell from the horrible side effects that I experienced.

I am thinking of doing inpatient on Friday if they have a bed open for me. I need to keep this courage up all week to do this. I also have to find something to tell my mom as to what I am doing - how long I will be- and so on.

My daughter is over, and having emotional conplications. I find that she too struggles with a lot of the same things I do. but she has a hard time with other ppl requiring her to follow a strict structured plan. She just cant seem to do it, which is fine.

I keep wanting to sleep, then im awake again. Maybe this is part of the medication that my body is dealing with - but I am not too sure. She did tell me that it could go on for a few days.
I wanted to know about how the whole process works for this.
I do thank you for replying. I did post this on 2 social media sites, along with FB. I have some supportive friends that will reply to stuff once a day unless they have a reason

I keep fighting sleep, but then I cant sleep-- maybe you all deal with this too. I do.~~ sigh

I found out that she does some of the same self harm that I do. I am deeply worried and concerned, but im not in a position where I can mentally think to handle it - so that she is guided thru this situation.

Return to “Expressions”