Define mental health

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Alaska1958

Define mental health

Postby Alaska1958 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:09 pm

You hear the phrase "mental health" thrown around a lot in some circles. For instance I've been watching youtube videos about suicide lately and in the comments section people talk a lot about how people who committed suicide are "mentally ill".

What constitutes mental health? I say that it requires two attitudes. One, that you get through most days (say at least 70%) feeling like life is ok. Not that you're giddy with happiness, but glad you are alive.

Two, that the future does hold some reasonable hope of optimism. Like next year you have a neat trip to Europe planned or you are looking forward to a coming grandchild. Something that you are capable of enjoying the thought of.

Regrettably I do not qualify under my own definition.

What about you? Any thoughts to add?

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:29 am

Hi Alaska,
How have you been?
I've lotsa stuff to say about mental health issues, though I can only speak from experience.
One thing I've learned is that it has nothing to do with strength or weakness.

As I will testify, my life has been littered with chaos, and I've still come through it...As is the song, Morning After by Maureen McGovern, (theme song for the movie: Poseidon Adventure) I made it...

To me, I don't sound like a blubbering, frickin unsound idiot. People who only glimpse a quarter of the crap I've dealt will tell me they can't believe I'm sane.

So, do I feel proud? Hell no! Rather, I feel like I'm being prepared for something larger...to be a warrior for what's right.
Take it, leave it. I didn't go through all of this crap for nothing. ??
What? To say I am depressed?!

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi forever, it sounds like you have a good, strong attitude and I applaud you. Nice reference to "morning after" song too. I remember the original movie with Gene Hackman.

Do you consider yourself depressed? Myself, I have had a pretty easy life. I've never made much money, but it was never all that important to me either. Not much drama in my life either. Perhaps that's part of my problem. My parents had things like world wars and depressions to temper them.

Return to “Expressions”