If Tommorrow Were Monday

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Frame

If Tommorrow Were Monday

Postby Frame » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Everyone has been so patient. Everyone has tried to be so helpful. It would be disrespectful not to somehow succeed. It would be ungrateful not to wake up tommorrow and try again.

veggiemark

Postby veggiemark » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:56 pm

I wish I had your attitude
I'd probably feel a lot better

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm so happy that you're feeling positive and hopeful, Frame. This is good. And you deserve it! Sounds like things are looking up for you. :)

Frame

Postby Frame » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:39 pm

I think I should mention, two most likely components which lead to this lapse into optimism are; that I've been riding my bike into work all week, and that I started taking St Johns Wart about three weeks ago. Plenty of things in reality conspire to thwart progress, but we have to take our wins where we can get them don't we?

It may be, probably is the extra exercise I'm getting; but I already do get exercise and it may as well be a sense of control I get from riding where ever I please.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:06 am

I hear you Frame. I believe exercise increases endorphin output in the brain, which generally causes a person to feel better. I also want to ask you, how does St. John's Wart make you feel?? I'm interested in giving it a try...If it helps to reduce the pain of depression, I definately want to know how it helps! Interested in the details. Keep ridin that bike! :)

Frame

Postby Frame » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:52 am

Thought I should mention; another thing that releases endorphins is feeling safe, and it was nice to here you were feeling a bit safer, 4Ever, with a plan for your new apartment. To some extent I live vicariously through others.

Among the things I've been on are: Lithium, Celexa, and St. Johns Wart. In decreasing order, I can feel the chemistry from all three; Lithium was very uncomfortable, and long term use of any of them took the edge off any drive I have to accomplish things. St. Johns Wart sort of sneaks up on me. When I take the recommended dose; I go about my day just as irritated and guilt ridden, only to have little windows calm contentment pop open. At the recommended dose, I really don' feel side effects initially and later they don't grab hold like the with other two.

I suppose part of treatment is managing expectations. In the past, I wouldn't have accepted the above as effectiveness. I would have expected less in the way of side effects and more in the way of happiness (perhaps spelled euphoria) in order for any of them to clear the bar. But these days I'll take what I can get. Eventually they all would make me tired and complacent. In a way, lack of initial side effects was a problem for St. Johns Wart; I convinced myself nothing was happening.

We'll see this time. Part of managing expectations is managing symptoms and side effects with discipline and proper life style. Forcing myself live right when I don't want to, whether on or off meds., is a big part of the treatment. It's possible that this time tired and complacent can be over come with discipline and still leave contentment (every now and then) in it's wake.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Frame,
Well,...I'll feel safer in my new place only because I'll be away from my neighbor. But I hope she doesn't try something while I'm moving out. Haha.--The people who offered to help me move are mormons who knocked on my door. These will be people from my neighbor's church! This can create issues w/my neighbor. I already know she will try to convince them not to help me. (in which case, I'll have to explain to them the 'situation.') You know? Oh well, I'll deal w/it when the time comes for moving.

I was on Celexa in the past, also. It worked for me some then. Currently, I'm only on xanax and coffee. Haha! Anyway, what are the side-effects of St. John's Wart? Ever taken a little extra for it to work better? I've heard people say that St. John's Wart is good for depression, but has not evaluated in this regard by the FDA.

Tomorrow, I may have to buy a new phone. This one has been 'blacking-out' on me while I've navigated this site. Maddening as all hell.Then, I have to log in twice! Grrr...

Frame

Postby Frame » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:49 pm

There have been many studies down in Europe about St. Johns Wart. My interpretation is that the FDA hasn't approved it because no drug company wants to study it because they can't patent it. But you can bet their studying it back room labs and coming up with patentable synthetic drugs which will turn out years later to be the ingredients in St Johns Wart. And you can also bet they'll sue any one who tries to say that. [You may think I'm paranoid but they really are out to get us.]

The side effects of St. Johns Wart, in my experience, are pretty much the same as Prozac (Celexa) only less so. I have upped the dose, which may be part of the reason I stopped a while back. As I said, it's got a lot to do with managing expectations. These drugs have a long onset of positive effects with a quicker onset of negative effects. Which means being creative with dosage tends to be discouraging. The changes we want happen long after the negative effects and probably also after the crisis is over.

I think medication (self- or doctor-) has to be viewed like any other discipline; meditation, exercise, diet, we just have to get with the program and do it because we should. If we anticipate a wonderful outcome, it never comes at the expected time or the expected amount. But when we build a habit and forget the result, then positive results sneak up on us and we are much more satisfied. And remember, I'm a hypocrite so, do as I say not as I do. I know what I'm talking about (at least it sounds inside my head like I know what I'm talking about).

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Haha! Your last two sentences were funny, Frame, though I DO understand.
I hope I've comprehended your advice correctly! So, St. John's Wart should be taken without prior expectations of what one might want out of it? Also, I don't think your "paranoid," because of what you wrote in the first paragraph...I totally do getcha!! I believe in this explanation too; It doesn't sound so far-fetched to me. It's all about the money, right?! Their products are not so much about our well-being; Our healing? It comes secondary to monetary gain...if even that.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 pm

And those 'Bad Drug' ads sure are popping up on our tv screens consistently, huh?

Return to “Expressions”