Socks

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Frame

Socks

Postby Frame » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 am

My mind is like a pair of mismatched socks. They look funny from the outside but....no wait. My mind is like a hovercraft. It blows and never quite leaves the...no wait. My mind is like a cat chasing a laser dot. Not only does it not catch it, but...no wait. My mind is like an LA sunrise. It's always hot, smoggy, and not too pretty. ..no wait....
Last edited by Frame on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 am

I love a good analogy. Back in '74 I bought my first car, it was a 1965 ford van with a 170 ci in line six engine and a 3 speed, column shifting manual transmission. I got it at an auction for $50. I put a used $5 battery in it and my brother put a u joint in and reconnected the drive shaft. It had been sitting in a field for several years, but after the battery and driveshaft were connected it fired right up.

I was tickled pink. After driving it around for a month or two I decided to give it a tuneup. The spark plugs had really thick buildup of crud, I was amazed it was able to fire off at all. Anyway I put new plugs, points, condenser and plug wires in. Then I took it out for a test drive. It fired up fine, but when I got out on the road it started missing. The faster I tried to go, the worse it ran. I couldn't get it up past 30 mph. I played with it, asked my brother about it, checked to make sure the wires were connected to the right cylinders. Checked the gap on the points and it was good and played around with the timing.

No matter what I did, it would start just fine, but wouldn't get up and go. Weeks went by and no solution. I didn't drive it much because I couldn't depend on it.

I think back to that old van and it's mysterious misfiring and I feel much like that old engine. My brain feels like it might have the same problem. I just have never been able to get up and run.

In case you were wondering, I still have that old van. It even still runs. Oh, and that electrical problem, it took an old friend of my brother's to figure it out. You see, when I was putting the new condenser on I had dropped the screw that held it on. I didn't worry about it because the wire that made the electrical connection was very short and well secured. But my brother's friend mentioned that the screw that I had dropped was responsible for grounding the condenser. That every time I tried to take it out, the faster I tried to go the more the condenser jumped around and the worse it ran.

If only our brains could be as easily fixed.

Frame

A Ford is a terrible thing to waste

Postby Frame » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 am

My mind is like an 1965 Ford van. It always starts right up but never goes much over 25 miles and hours and it's constantly miss firing.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 am

LOL! My mind is often like the cat chasing the laser dot. Ugh...

Return to “Expressions”