Help?

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

dvaccaro012

Help?

Postby dvaccaro012 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't know if anyone else can attest to this feeling, but when I get to be in a bad mood or feel upset I tend to want to run away. Sometimes it feels like I can't escape from where I am because I don't want people to know how I'm feeling or ask me what's wrong. On days like today, I want to throw my phone into water and run to a safe place and hide forever.

I've also had issues with feeling a loss of control or feeling like I've lost my friends. I have difficulty with people moving on and leaving me, and constantly feel like my friends don't like me anymore. This weekend I am out of town, and I lost my best friend at a bar because she kept wandering off. I freaked out because she wasn't near me or our group, and my other friend came up to me an yelled at me telling me she doesn't need a babysitter. Maybe she doesn't, but I couldn't help the mini freak out I had when all of us suddenly split up and I lost my closest friends in a strange bar in a sketchy neighborhood. I was so embarrassed after I thought about it and ashamed of myself for how I acted around her that I cried the entire night. It truly made me hate myself and my relationships with the people i love even more.

dougsan

Postby dougsan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm

dvaccaro012, please talk with your friends one-on-one, if possible, and tell them what is going through your mind when you upset them. They may not understand what you tell them but they will appreciate better who you are.

Now, talk with your preacher, priest, etc. and fully explain what is happening to you under the circumstances you described. S/he should put you somewhat at ease and help you determine what your next step would be.

If religion really leaves you lacking then talk with a healthcare professional.

Do something now, please.

floro

I Can

Postby floro » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Yes, D., when worse comes to worst for me, all I can think about is getting out, running away, and escaping so I don't have to experience that overwhelming feeling.

This is going to sound silly, but I learned this little trick in therapy years ago. It works. When you get overwhelmed, change what you are doing no matter how small of an activity it is. For example, make yourself do something else--------------take out garbage, go outside and walk around the yard, start a project you've been wanting to start, etc. It refocuses your mind and stops the feeling that you think you're going crazy.

Return to “Expressions”