Back from my trip ..... dads not doing very well

Feelings and emotions regarding depression, anxiety and other health issues.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

flossy

Back from my trip ..... dads not doing very well

Postby flossy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:50 pm

(((((((((((((((((everyone)))))))))))))))))

This is both an apology and an explaination as to why i havnt been her as much as i'd of liked to over the past couple of weks. 2 weeks ago i found out that both my mother and father had been admitted to hospital within a few days of each other. They live about 1200km from where i live. Mum had a fall overnite and wasnt found till the next day, and my dad who has lived in a nursing home for 2 years was admitted very unwell, dehydrated and in need of a blood transfusion (still not sure where he is bleeding from :( ) I have just returned from the trip over there to see them both.

Please forgive me but this is a copy and paste from another group i belong to....i dont have the strength to write it out twice, it hurts too much ( i hope you all forgive me for that)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well its been a very long and difficult 10 days or so. I made the trip there and back fairly ok i guess, broke the drive (2,400km) into 4 parts coz its a long enough trip to begin with without dodging thousands of stoopid goats and a gazillion and 3 roos

My mom had fairly well recovered by the time i got there from scepticemia secondary to a UTI and kidney stone, she is still a little weak but thankfully slowly regaining her appetite and strength. Because both my sister (who lives there) and myself had to leave on sunday the good doctors agreed to put her in a private hospital till sat/sunday when my sister returns so she has somewhere to be till she is stronger. She does live in a house by herself just around the corner from my auntie, has a lady from homecare in once a week to do major cleaning and shop for her, but when she is well she is quite independant and gets around town very well and goes to the club now and then, pretty good considering her age i think. My auntie (mums sister) also lives there but she is in her 70's as well tho she is a tad unwell herself.

But my dad isnt very well at all He has advanced Vascular Dementia and unfortunately all of the cruel symptoms ...... he is very rarely lucid, hardly knows where he is, lives full time in a nursing home where he is completely dependant on the nurses for all basic needs like being fed (tho on good days he can water and feed himself if the food is cut up) showered, taken to the toilet and ( this once great and proud man is now has the indignity of having to wear nappies with little control over bodily functions) in his mind he basically now lives in a past that only he has the key to He also has diabetes, hypertension, has had 4 strokes and many TIA's, has serious cardiac problems and had a pacemaker inserted a few years ago to keep it beating. His voice is no longer the one i grew up with....it is mostly weak, slurred and uncertain. In the event of an arrest my sister knows and has talked with all his many doctors and nurses and he is now considered NFR Its a really wonderful nursing home with amazing staff but it hurts to say he is basically slowly dieing.......

I hadn't seen him in a while and the change in him broke my heart into a million pieces....... but now i've seen this place and now the staff a little better at least i know he is being well taken care of, the staff adore him and think he is adorable, so that reassures me a bit.

<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have a lot of catching up to do here, soooo many new posts to read and i am SO happy to see this wonderful site growing!!!!!!!! :D :D :D A huge big congrats to everyone here for making this a great place to come to and be a part of, oh and its really cool to see the many 'familiar' faces who have found there way here too!!!!

love and thanks,

flossy *huge hugs*

Corey

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:58 pm

(((((((((((((((( flossy ))))))))))))))) i'm here if you need someone to talk to and you know where to find me. i'm glad that your mum is doing better and i'm sorry to hear about your dad. i will say a prayer for them and you as well.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:52 pm

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:44 pm

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((MyFlossiegirl)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

3 words................

I love you!!!!

FMHTY

Warmie

8)

Stephen
Senior Moderator

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:53 pm

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 pm

(((((Flossy))))))

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear of how your parents are, especially your dad.

Can sort of relate in a way, as my great aunt had alzheimers - it is so hard to deal with the times when they're not lucid.

We're here for you ((((Flossy)))) if you want to talk more.

Stephen.

Tigger

Postby Tigger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:54 pm

((((((((((((((((((((((Flossy)))))))))))))))))) that must have been a hard trip hun, how are you coping?
Sue
xxxx

flossy

Postby flossy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:58 pm

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:16 pm

(((((((((((((((((coreysis))))))))))))) thankyou honey, we'll have to catch up soon, when you get back from seeing (((jelly))) :D

(((((((((((((mywarmie))))))))))))) Thankyou and i love you too!!!

((((((((Stephen))))))))) Thankyou too. Yes thats the hard thing about alzheimers/dementia. Most the times when i talk to him on the phone he is rarely lucid and talks of things long past, i'm not even sure he knows its me :( :(

(((((((((((tigger)))))))))))) Thanks hun. Coping fairly well i think, some days are harder you know, but at least i got to see him and make new memories. One day at a time right.

Well mom is back home and doing quite well. Dad is much the same, having good days mixed with the not so good. A couple of times (with minimal assistance) he has managed to feed himself. And sometimes on days when he's feeling stronger they pop him in a wheelchair and he uses his feet to work the chair up and down the corridors (they do that with a couple of the patients there) gives a small sence of independance which is good. T

Thankyou all again, your hugs and good thoughts mean the world to me,

love,

flossy *hugs*

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:59 pm

osted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:12 am

((((((((((((((((((((MyFlossygirl)))))))))))))))))

Always here for you......

FMHTY

Love to you

Warmie

8)

Gloomy2

Postby Gloomy2 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:01 pm

Hey Flossy,

It sure sounds like you have been through a rough time! I'm glad your Mom is doing better. I am so sorry you are going through that with your Dad. My Mom had to go in a nursing home and had Alzheimer's and it is beyond heartbreaking----so my heart goes out to you. I will never forget the first time I went to visit that she did NOT remember who I was---I cried so hard when I left and had to sit in my truck and compose myself before I drove home. My Dad had lung cancer that metastasized too far to treat successfully and we watched him waste away and lapse into a coma once it went to his brain. It is such a terrible thing to have to see your parents hurting and not really be able to help. My Mom wound up with pneumonia and an infection and I did have the comfort of being there when she died and holding her hands. I took her off support as were her wishes in her Directive but felt guilty having it placed on me to do. I had to follow her wishes and she was suffering and lingering on with that horrible disease. It is not easy at all to deal with.

My heart goes out to you and your family.Image

Hugs,
Gloomy2

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:34 pm

(((((((((((((((((MyFlossy)))))))))))))))))))))))

Wondering how you parents are doing. If you read this, update us please.

Love to you

FMHTY

Warmie

8)

Return to “Expressions”