Who said that The purpose of Life is to be happy?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

RustyTavern

Who said that The purpose of Life is to be happy?

Postby RustyTavern » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:55 pm

You're trying to be happy? The purpose of Life is to be happy?

Maybe the purpose of life is to struggle;
to deal with tragedy
to deal with Hell

So there is no longer a need to feel short changed simply because you're not feeling happy.

CamGirl

Re: Who said that The purpose of Life is to be happy?

Postby CamGirl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:30 am

The Dalai Lama: “The very purpose of life is to be happy.”
Who is he? His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, is the spiritual leader of the Tibetan people. He has been described as a doctor of the soul, and his message is always one of peace and compassion for people all over the world.

shutterstock_180684791Expanded answer: “I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.

“Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.”

Rachelm2535

Postby Rachelm2535 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Not sure if the purpose of life is to be happy. I tend to think more of Love being the purpose. True happiness comes from unconditional love. There is only one that can give you unconditional love and that is the Creator, Jesus. For me any other happiness is impossible. I totally get what you are saying though sometimes in different times in our life happiness seems impossible...but I can tell you it is possible. 25 years of battling depression and I can honestly say I am happy. Here is a great resource to check out. https://bit.ly/2hwXnqH -Rachel

GoneDark

Postby GoneDark » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 pm

The purpose of life? Who knows, it all seems so futile to me. I mean,we come here for awhile, then die. We suffer. We watch or lives ones suffer and die. We die. What for? What pray tell me anyone what is the purpose in that?

CamilaWillaims

Postby CamilaWillaims » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am

“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.”

RustyTavern

Postby RustyTavern » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:21 am

Rachelm2535 wrote:Not sure if the purpose of life is to be happy. I tend to think more of Love being the purpose. True happiness comes from unconditional love. There is only one that can give you unconditional love and that is the Creator, Jesus. For me any other happiness is impossible. I totally get what you are saying though sometimes in different times in our life happiness seems impossible...but I can tell you it is possible. 25 years of battling depression and I can honestly say I am happy. Here is a great resource to check out. https://bit.ly/2hwXnqH -Rachel

Can you rationalise such happiness?
Is it a concrete happiness now or some future promise of happiness?

RustyTavern

Postby RustyTavern » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am

GoneDark wrote:The purpose of life? Who knows, it all seems so futile to me. I mean,we come here for awhile, then die. We suffer. We watch or lives ones suffer and die. We die. What for? What pray tell me anyone what is the purpose in that?

As is in evidence throughout the world of science, the purpose of life is to improve the quality of energy. Once you add rational thought, the purpose of life becomes the meaning of life which is secondary to the goal of science consequently the answer can only be subjectively rationalised.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”