I celebrate my success :D

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, cj-, BlueGobi, Moderators, Frame

sam steven

I celebrate my success :D

Postby sam steven » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 am

I was always bothered about, how I look, how others are distinguishing me. Anxiety for me was possibly superior to depression. It’s a terrible, perturbed emotion. I started losing a lot of weight and late realized that I had developed an eating disorder. But with some constant support and love from my family & friends helped a lot in this case and I started loving my life and gaining confidence day by day. I started overcoming it day by day with some recreational activities and some good blogs. Hope you guys also start thinking about the positives of our life rather than noticing the negatives. Please share some tips if you’ve been through similar experiences as I am helping other people going through such issues.

sherril2291

Re: I celebrate my success :D

Postby sherril2291 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 pm

I am so proud of you! I hate that we live in a society that makes us believe we need to compare ourselves and keep up, or surpass, others. I believe we were all born for a purpose that only we can fulfill, and it doesn't have to be some big, famous mission - we could be exactly what the people in our family, building, or neighborhood need, in ways that are specific to us. You obviously have great resolve and the ability to change your thinking so that your actions can change. Making a point to write down what we're grateful for each day trains our brains to look for what we have instead of what we don't, just as you mentioned. But also, when things come into our lives that we're not so grateful for, we learn to look for the lessons we can get from these timesl, because the gift of a new perspective, and wanting to share that perspective as you are, helps us remain hopeful even when life seems hard. Continue loving yourself, and continue loving others- that's the real happiness in life.

OmaGosh

Postby OmaGosh » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am

I'm so glad to hear that you're finding victory. Isn't it sad that we compare ourselves to others?
Such a bad idea, yet we all do it at some time or another and to some degree or another.
As a Christian, I see over and over WHY God says not to covet or lust after something that doesn't belong to us.
Looking around at others, comparing ourselves with others, makes us discontent and unhappy.
The irony is that the people around us are doing the same thing. No one has it all together all the time.

Beth F

Postby Beth F » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm very happy for you and understand how difficult it is to overcome an eating disorder. For me the anorexia was a lot about feeling in control when inside I felt so out of control. At first it worked, but then the eating disorder took control and the downward spiral became even worse. I'm sure you know what I mean. There are still days when those habits show up, of withholding food because I don't feel worthy or because the anxiety and depression are too much. I think what's really helped me is my spiritual practice, being honest with myself about my feelings and the support of family. A good support system is so important. It's great that you're helping others with these issues and I wish you all the best.

sam steven

Postby sam steven » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 am

One of my suggestions is that when you are depressed you should read some good books, articles which can lower your heart rate and relax you physically. When you escape reality for a while you tend to lose yourself, your troubles, and your anxieties, if only for an hour. Sometimes, that hour is all you need to get through the day. Coping isn't simple, but at least with a book, it can be a little bit easier. You can also read these articles which I found while I was researching for some treatments - [link removed]. According to my experience reading unquestionably, helps to release anxiety.

Beenthere1001

Postby Beenthere1001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 am

Thank you for sharing your story of success. Congratulations!

When I was having a very hard time and became stressed out and depressed, and I had lots of anxieties, panic attacks, I went to see my doctor and a counselor. A few of the things I remember most are to have deep breaths, to be mindful which means don't think too far ahead, just take care of the things you need to take care right at this moment. Don't worry too much about the next hour, tomorrow, next week, next month. Just take one day at a time. Try to think positive instead of negative.

I've been applying that to my work and my life. I feel better now. I can work more productively and feel more peaceful.

Beenthere1001

Postby Beenthere1001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:09 am

I would like to share some of my experiences on how to overcome depression:

When I feel or am in a very difficult situation, I think about others who have much worse situation than I. Think about the very poor people in third world country that they don't have enough food to eat, no clean water to drink, no roof to live under, no clothes to wear; they (even small children) have to dig ground with their bare hands to look for food, have to go for miles to get water "home" for their loved ones (mothers, children, brothers, sisters...)

When I feel unsatisfied about my job for some reasons, I have to find out the reasons, try to improve the problems and myself. I have to think that I'm lucky to have job; there are thousands of people don't have a job. It's very painful. Or I have to think about looking for a job somewhere else.

When I'm unhappy thinking that others treating me wrongly, I have to think people are not always nice and kind and no body is perfect. I have too look at myself too.

I learn that IF nobody loves me, I will love myself. I learn that nobody can care for me better than I do for myself.

I learn that when I need help, I need to find someone to help, either friends, relatives or professionals like doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist, life coach.... And I have to listen to them, not to be defensive and pull back and keep blaming on people. That way, I will never change and improve myself. And I need to reach out to people and help them too.

I've learned that there are lots of dysfunctional people, relationships, marriages, families in the world. But that's life. You cannot change people. You can only change yourself. You could dream or wish someday you have a good partner, relationship, marriage, family of your own, you have to start to change and improve yourself now. If you cannot change yourself, you cannot expect to have good things in your life, and you cannot expect people to offer you that.

I've learned that what ever happen to me, I'm not alone. I may vent with others in real life or one here, but I to shake myself up, pull myself together and move on. Nobody wants to hear someone's venting and whining so much so long in a very angry and rude manner.

I've learned not to compare myself with others. I learn to appreciate what I have and not to care about what other people have. I learn to change what I can and accept what I can.

I've learned that when I'm nice with others, there's more chance others will be nice back to me. And vice-versa. I've learned that if I close myself up and be mean to people and push people away, people will leave me alone. If I'm happy to be alone is okay. But if I'm not happy to be alone and be angry that people are mean to me and abandon me, that's not okay.

When I'm selfish and just want attention from others, I feel miserable. When I reach out to help others and not to think about myself so much, I feel happy.

When I don't have anything to do and just sit there to think too much about negative things, I feel depressed. So, I would find things to do to keep myself busy such going to gym, to do exercise, punch the punching bag. When I have nothing to do and think too much, I become crazy. It's so true that about the saying "Idleness is the root of evil."

I've learned that I want to be successful, I have to work my butt off, not to expect people to hand all the good things to me. If I fail for the first time, second time, third time... I will keep trying. Blaming others, being angry with others, sitting there crying, whining, feeling sorry for myself won't help.

I learn that the world is like a big mirror. When you look at it, you smile, you will see the person in that mirror smiles back to you. When you look, act angry into the mirror, you will see the angry and act angry back to you.

Yeah, the mirror can be dirty or cracked because some people abuse it. Sometimes you just have to live with it. Or you can clean a section of it for yourself, like you cannot change the whole wold, but you can change yourself.

That's about that for now.

littlestarsmum

Postby littlestarsmum » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 am

I’m glad to hear that, Sam. Thanks for sharing a lil about your story with us. I so appreciate your desire to help others. I’m sure your post will bring hope to everyone here. Have a blessed stay!

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”