Choosing a therapist

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Eske

Choosing a therapist

Postby Eske » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Now I'm able to start therapy: what "school of thought" should I choose? I understand very little about them. These are the issues I wanna talk about:
> disconnect between body and mind
> psychosomatic disturbs (funny how these two exist together)
> consequences of childhood's emotional abuse (sometimes physical) from mother, which result mostly in the first two issues
> "depression" (almost no pleasure, I'm not the same person as before, lack of / change in interests, mind fog, no focus, poor memory)
> can't follow conversations (too many things to perceive at the same time, I don't understand when it's my turn to speak)
> self-injury (or is it ocd?)
> gender dysphoria (well, it's not my priority, but it cannot either become the elephant in the room)

I want a LONG term therapy and I don't wanna be sent immediately to a psychiatrist for pills, not before a LONG phase of talking.

du4mmb

Re: Choosing a therapist

Postby du4mmb » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 am

In either case, it’s going to be the person who listens to you, looks you in the eye when they speak, and directly answers your questions. No BS! Take care.

RustyTavern

Postby RustyTavern » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:56 am

Eske wrote:Now I'm able to start therapy: what "school of thought" should I choose? I understand very little about them. These are the issues I wanna talk about:
> disconnect between body and mind
> psychosomatic disturbs (funny how these two exist together)
> consequences of childhood's emotional abuse (sometimes physical) from mother, which result mostly in the first two issues
> "depression" (almost no pleasure, I'm not the same person as before, lack of / change in interests, mind fog, no focus, poor memory)
> can't follow conversations (too many things to perceive at the same time, I don't understand when it's my turn to speak)
> self-injury (or is it ocd?)
> gender dysphoria (well, it's not my priority, but it cannot either become the elephant in the room)

I want a LONG term therapy and I don't wanna be sent immediately to a psychiatrist for pills, not before a LONG phase of talking.

Are you looking to be depressed & mad all your life? I think so. The only suitable counsellor is yourself.. or remain on state aid.

Eske

Postby Eske » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 pm

The only suitable counsellor is yourself..

I guess... not? xD Even doctors go to doctors. I'm not a doctor of the mind or of the body, and I need a doctor of the mind.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”