Anxiety, ADHD and medications, Epilepsy

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Anxiety, ADHD and medications, Epilepsy

Postby CitM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:58 pm

I ran across some information for those who have a problem with anxiety, especially for those, for whom it is getting worse.

My daughter when she was younger had petite mal epilepsy. She was medicated most of her childhood and eventually outgrew it. But there are MANY kinds of epilepsy and it can manifest in a lot of different ways. Usually an event has what is called 'an aura', but not always. However, one of the most common is anxiety. Also, it is not uncommon to a bit of time, 'have difficulty hearing' but pass hearing tests with flying colors. You might not HAVE attention deficit at all but seizures in which your attention is momentarily interrupted for as long as short as 5 to 10 seconds or as long as several minutes. Also after a seizure, it is not uncommon to feel tired, kind of down, etc.

I looked at reputable sites on epilepsy and found that ADHD medications and other stimulants can make it a lot worse. Also, if you only have partial seizures, focal seizures, or temporal lobe seizures, it is not uncommon to get false negatives. Some SSRIs may do the same thing. Alcohol can also play havoc as it dehydrates the brain which causes more imbalances and seizures more likely.

Interestingly, benzos may actually lower the number of seizures by raising the seizure threshholds. Maybe one of the reasons people do better on anti-seizure medication is because they really are having small partial seizures that have been undetected. Depending on the area of the brain, it may effect you in different ways. For example, hallucinating odors is not uncommon.

Hope this may help someone.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”