Overheard

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CitM

Overheard

Postby CitM » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:51 pm

I was waiting for a class at a college I attend in the hallway and over heard a conversation by a bunch of kids dissing those with schizophrenia. I just listened. The things they picked on about people like that made me realize how young and foolish they really were.

For instance, they went on about how people with schizophrenia only shower a few times a week, not realizing that many people all over the world for many reasons, physical and resource wise only get a chance to shower a few times a week.

They said a few other things that I didn't really catch, but I didn't say anything.
Here are some interesting facts about people with schizophrenia
Most people with the classical disease schizophrenia are stricken between the ages of 19 and 24. Pretty much if you don't get slammed with it then, you don't have it. This is why outreach and awareness is so important for colleges, technical schools and universities.

The general rule is, the faster from onset of psychosis to medication to stop the psychosis, the better the long term prognosis. Ignoring warning factors has been responsible for at least three outbreaks of violence.
Sandy Hook Elementary
The recent Minnesota St. Cloud mall stabbings
The DeKalb University School Shootings.

Every single one of those incidences of violence was caused by a youth in the right age group, with a history of mental health problems, or the start of a sudden change of behavior, including dropping out of school.

Like autism, and other very little understood diseases, there are multiple caused vectors for the symptoms of schizophrenia, which many mean that many people diagnosed as schizophrenic, may not actually have that disease. Acute schizophrenia, which means bouts of psychosis and then full recovery, can be caused by heavy metal contamination, hormonal issues, medication side effects, neurological disorders etc.

Affective schizophrenia means a schizophrenic with a mood disorder, like bipolar disorder, or depression.

Famous People with symptoms of Schizophrenia who went on to lead successful lives.
John Nash - Mathematician/Nobel Prize Winner
Andy Goram - Scottish Soccer Player/Goal Keeper
Peter Green, Guitarist for the band Fleetwood Mac
James Beck Gordon (Jim Gordon) - James Gordon had been, quite simply, one of the greatest drummers of his time
Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln (past-President of the United States), Abraham Lincoln himself suffered from severe depression.

The next time you hear someone putting down the mentally ill, realize that in our ranks are people who really made a difference in their lives and other people's lives.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”