Always losing interest

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

nppc197

Always losing interest

Postby nppc197 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 pm

As an honest question, who else has problems doing things consistently? There are some things I'd really like to be involved in, but I always end up quitting. I feel like I can't enjoy life because of it. There's a common relation, they say, between depression and lack of motivation. I have a lot of difficulty not just in starting a new routine, but even in things as simple as five-minute, everyday tasks. I'll list a few examples of these, in varying degrees of time and effort.

Remember, I'm not putting this out to complain about life, I just want to know how this affects other people, and most importantly, methods to resolve it.

Washing dishes. This is very mundane, and can be sort of tedious at times, but it doesn't take long, maybe 10 to 15 minutes for me, and that's while I'm shifting between being alert and being caught up in thought. Not to mention, it requires such little exertion. So why do I procrastinate on this so much?

Yard work. I just don't do this until I have to. I hate the summer heat, and I hate working in it. There are actually occasions when I feel like getting these things done, like the mowing the lawn, but it only lasts so long before I'm ready to be done.

Exercise. Unlike doing dishes, this is all about physical exertion, as the name implies. In my experiences, this is where self doubt becomes very down-bringing. I try and try to persevere, pushing myself to exhaustion, but it only lasts for maybe 20 minutes tops before I stop. I tell myself it wasn't good enough, that I won't be able to do it consistently, and not to mention I tend to get drowsy soon after. If I go to bed it messes with my sleep pattern, which is pretty out of order as it is.

And for the most important part, the solutions. I used to be on medications, but I quit them because I didn't want to be reliant on them, and had side effects. I'm skeptical about whether going back there would be a good idea. If anyone knows what courses of action work well for overcoming this problem, let me know. No need for expertise on the topic, personal experiences could be very useful for others.

Helloraspberries1

Re: Always losing interest

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi,

I know how you feel with loading interest in so many things. Depression can effect that on a everyday cycle.

You seem to be moving forward and trying to carry on staying motivated which is a good thing. I now it's hard but you have to go through the worse to get to the good.

For everyone its different when it comes to lack of motivation. Everyone finds ways of coping and getting by. With you it's just trying to carry on which is a good thing.

It's always good to keep going. Try and do something each day as your doing.

I know it's hard but you will get there.

X

SarahSunshine

Postby SarahSunshine » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:57 pm

I can completely relate to this as I experience it myself- washing up being a great example. Why does it seems so challenging?

However I think I've cracked it.

This works for me anyway. Try breaking down each task you have into smaller tasks. For example: washing up (let's say it takes 10/15 minutes) try telling yourself you're only going to wash two dishes, or do a minute or two of washing up rather than the whole load. After all, it's a start, and a start is better than nothing. After trying this several times I found I got into flow much better, and that after two minutes I didn't want to stop and would happily wash for the whole 15 minutes and feel great after!

If this doesn't work for you, another suggestion I have, is to write a todo list somewhere in your notes, or in paper, because if you write it down it will more likely happen. Give it a go!

I hope this helps :)

Vicfran

Postby Vicfran » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Oh, I totally agree, sarahsunshine! Just telling yourself that you're only going to do one or two dishes, or wash up for only 5 minutes seems to take the effort out and often I find I want to keep going for longer. Sometimes I put on some music and say to myself, 'I'm only going to do...whatever it is...vacuuming...until the end of this song'. Somehow having a time limit on it seems to spur me into action more easily.

dougsan

Postby dougsan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Boy can I relate! On some days I can't be bothered to bathe or even sleep - I have gone up to three days without proper sleep. My solution? Haven't found one. Even my shrink -- who is great -- can't find even a partial solution. He has suggested there are drugs which may help but no assurances and I wouldn't take them anyway because they are addictive and I'm a recovering A and N.

I have lost all interest in most everything except the company of my wife and our cats. I don't socialize AT ALL. Tough stuff. If I find anything that works for me I'll be sure to share.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”